Ads That Stick in Your Mind But You Can't Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ads That Stick in Your Mind But You Can't Find

Since advertising on television first began, the total number of different adverts shown possibly numbers into the hundreds of thousands.
    Ads made during the pre-1980 era are especially hard to find on the WWW as few people had VCR's back then.
    Are there any particular ads you've seen over the years which seem to stick in your mind, despite the fact that you've never come across them anywhere on the Internet?
    Perhaps you've posted about them in various forums but no-one else apart from you seems to be able to recall them.
    "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Re: Ads That Stick in Your Mind But You Can't Find

I've sometimes wondered if there are some ads which have been shown over the years which can only be remembered by a small handful of people, maybe the actors who took part in them, although in some cases maybe even they've forgotten.
    "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

About 5-10 years ago in the UK there was a TV advert.

It showed a wedding with a lot of fairly "average" people dancing at a Wedding disco.

The music appeared to be the grunting noises from Peaches by the Stranglers and a "dad dancing" figure moonwalked backwards to it. Can't find any reference to it on tinterweb.

So what was the advert, and was it Peaches ?

Comment

I've posted elsewhere on this forum about a tv advert that was on about 10+ years ago about an 'awkward moment' in a commercial between a husband, wife and her friend.....never been able to find it as I can't rmember what the tv ad was about.

I found this one though, it was banned apparently but I really can't see why? Click image for larger version

Name:	chin.gif
Views:	2
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	260384

Comment

Originally posted by ayrshireman View Post

It showed a wedding with a lot of fairly "average" people dancing at a Wedding disco.

The music appeared to be the grunting noises from Peaches by the Stranglers and a "dad dancing" figure moonwalked backwards to it. Can't find any reference to it on tinterweb.

Trying going into YouTube and typing 'UK ad' or 'UK advert' and then the year you're looking for. Alternatively try googling it. As soon as someone's uploaded an ad on YouTube there will almost certainly be links to it almost everywhere. Another option is going into DailyMotion and trying there.

Comment

Originally posted by themilkman View Post
            I've posted elsewhere on this forum about a tv advert that was on about 10+ years ago about an 'awkward moment' in a commercial between a husband, wife and her friend.....never been able to find it as I can't rmember what the tv ad was about.

I found this one though, it was banned apparently but I really can't see why? [ATTACH=CONFIG]3746[/ATTACH]

I can, they probably got quite a few complaints as there was an erection implied.

Comment

Originally posted by philipdalton View Post
              I can, they probably got quite a few complaints as there was an erection implied.
              Yeah, but what's a little erection between friends Click image for larger version

Name:	groucho.gif
Views:	3
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	260385

Comment

I found this one though, it was banned apparently but I really can't see why? [ATTACH=CONFIG]3746[/ATTACH]

You cant?. Really?.

Comment

You cant?. Really?.
                  Not really no..............I think some people are just a little bit too precious, including you obviously.

Comment

I still want to find the advert for some kind of toiletries that parodied '"English Country Garden'

Comment

Originally posted by willpurry View Post
                      I still want to find the advert for some kind of toiletries that parodied '"English Country Garden'
                      Yes but it's like searching for a needle in a haystack though.

Comment

Not really no..............I think some people are just a little bit too precious, including you obviously.
                        By precious, you mean people who DO have a sense of humour, but might think an ad is too crude, and certainly not appropriate for certain times of the day.
                        I'm no prude, but I dont think anything goes either.

Besides, I thought the ad was cr*p anyway.
                        Last edited by ayrshireman; 20-04-2013, 23:04.

Comment

I seem to remember an advert, might have been for heating/insulation, in the '70s, featuring little creatures called 'Invisible Invaders'. They looked like little ghosts and carried bags marked Stolen Heat that they'd use to steal heat from your home. There's no trace of this one on Youtube. Anyone else remember it?

Comment

Originally posted by hazel View Post
                            I seem to remember an advert, might have been for heating/insulation, in the '70s, featuring little creatures called 'Invisible Invaders'. They looked like little ghosts and carried bags marked Stolen Heat that they'd use to steal heat from your home. There's no trace of this one on Youtube. Anyone else remember it?
                            No, but there is an advert which sticks in my mind from when I was a child in the 70's though. It was a shampoo advert, for Vosene I think, saying it was 'good for mums' & showing a boy having his hair washed. I actually came across someone on another website who remembered it too & said it ran for years, but it's highly unlikely it's anywhere on YouTube as VCR's weren't a mass market product then

Comment

Hi the ad was HSBC, you can find it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-KYlI-qLXY I used to work at the ad agency that made the ad making up video tapes for them, I always enjoyed this one!

Comment

Working...
                              X