HELP!! '80s trading cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!! '80s trading cards

Does anyone remember cards that were around in the '80s im sure they were called " Monster Olympics" they had monters like frankenstein doing different sports. the only thing i have came across is the cards attached but its not them:cry: please help its been driving me crazy for years you are my last hope lolClick image for larger version

Name:	monsteroly1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	264260 x

Re: HELP!! '80s trading cards

http://www.cardmine.co.uk/list23/a230632.jpg

I believe thats one of them. Was looking for ages myself.

Basically the picture you posted is the first series of cards they did, they then did a second series with a sports theme and included many of the same characters that you posted.

Comment

Yes. You are correct to remember these. It is also driving me mad. These were big business in the playground when I was a kid and was hovering around the peripheries of my memory.

They were called Team Spirits and the internet has only a trace of a few of them. Gremlin the rugby player, spectre the cricketer, slimeball the weightlifter and a devil tennis player. I remember others vaguely. Purple people eater did some skiing, there was fungus the footballer and a rock monster on a surf board that could be the coolest thing ive ever seen before or since.

There was a less successful follow up series called holiday spirits featuring the exact same characters but i remember even less about that.

Also there was a similar set of joke dinosaur ones. Doyouthinkhesaurus etc. But the internet lets me down on those too.

If you get hold of somewhere I can get my hands on any let me know.

Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave im glad im not the only one who remembers these thanks for the info, if i find anything on them i will post it

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Part-Set-2...item486ab0f135

Last edited by Heather74; 02-08-2014, 16:38. Reason: adding image for future reference

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unusually-Fu...item5b034a8798

Last edited by Heather74; 02-08-2014, 16:42. Reason: adding image

Comment

I found them yippee

Comment

A few on eBay at present. One of my best childhood memories.

Comment

They remind me of those "Garbage Pail Kids" stickers that seem to crop up everywhere during the late 1980s. At least they didn't do the same with the football album ones.
                  I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                  There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I collected (& still have) Garbage Pail Kids stickers.

I remember some schools banned them because of how freaky some of the stickers were.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Going by ebay they did a follow up series called Holiday Spirits which I can't remember for the life of me. Can only presume they weren't as popular? They don't look as interesting to be honest.

Also surprised to see they released a set called Fitness Freakz in the 2000s sometime which many of the same characters. More of a top trump style card. Very little about these available though apart from a YouTube clip.

Comment

Video here comparing Chamber of Horrors, Team Spirits and the follow up Fitness Freakz.

Can find nothing at all anywhere about the Fitness Freakz cards but clearly same characters etc.

https://youtu.be/1Cxd2ODRFao

Comment

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F223179207578

A few from each series here for sale.

Comment

Only remember ever collecting trading cards in the 60s, the man from uncle was the one that sticks in my mind, when you had the full set you could create a full size picture of napoleon solo, i can still smell the little square of pink chewing gum
                            Attached Files
                            Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                              Only remember ever collecting trading cards in the 60s, the man from uncle was the one that sticks in my mind, when you had the full set you could create a full size picture of napoleon solo, i can still smell the little square of pink chewing gum
                              My first experience of trading cards was the Shocking Laffs Hammer Horror cards of the mid-1970s.

They gave a tantalising glimpse into a world of films that my parents wouldn't have let me watch. I'm surprised I was allowed the cards actually, and suspect my Dad didn't know the content.

I remember that brittle pink chewing gum too, the cards still smelt of it years later.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X