Margret Thatcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Margret Thatcher

I hope it's ok to make threa/post regards Margret's passing, I am very suprised and shocked to learn of Margret's death,even though opinion is dived on regards her tenure and politcs etc, but i'll always recall Margret growing up in the 1990s and obviously Margret being Prime Minister was a part of his childhood you'll always recall as you would from say other Prime Ministers etc, but regardless of this I felt compelled to make this thread/post whatever I thought of Margret then, it all amounts to a part of my childhood, which means in turn i'm sorry to hear of Margret's passing today, which I felt I had to post here.

Re: Margret Thatcher

Please remember Warning: Insulting or defamatory posts will not be tolerated if you are going to post on this thread, thanks.
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

The fact that HG had to make the above post adequately sums up the woman.

Comment

Maggie Thatcher - Milk Snatcher

Comment

Well you can definitely say one thing for sure without fear of contradiction.....She was a lady who aroused lots of emotion both for and against. You certainly couldn't ignore her. As for my own opinion.....I will be diplomatic and say that you couldn't call me a fan.

Comment

....Have to say though....I think shes made it a little difficult for another woman to enter the doors of number 10....IMHO...that is.

Comment

sad to hear no matter how you feel about her.

r i p maggie.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by havasack View Post
                The fact that HG had to make the above post adequately sums up the woman.
                Sure does!

Comment

Didn't like her politics, but admired her strength. RIP Maggie.

Comment

Originally posted by zip55 View Post
                    Maggie Thatcher - Milk Snatcher
                    Except of course she wasnt the first, which people forget. LABOUR, the party of the working man (ahem), took away free milk first, in 1968. And 2006 papers show Thatcher OPPOSED taking away free milk in 1971, but was overruled by Ted Heath.

Comment

Conservatives (1979-1997): 237 mines closed.
                      Labour (1964-1970, 1974-79): 270 mines closed.

237 in 18 yrs VS 270 in 11 years, yet Maggie gets the blame from the miners?.

Comment

I can never forgive that wretched woman for what she did to the miners and other heavy industries- decimating communities, ruining livelihoods, bleeding the NHS white, and doubling the unemplyment figures.
                        However, there's no doubt that the Falklands War HAD to be fought- when a despot invades your territory, you don't negociate, you kick them out again. She also opened up higher education to a much wider sector of the population, destroying the 'ivory tower' of the Universities. Before the late '80s, it was incredibly difficult to get into University, and if you were non-working class but couldn't make the grade, you were stigmatised for life as having something wrong with you. Thatcher changed all that, making further education much more accessible to many more people and classes of society.
                        She also broke the power of the teaching unions- I well remember some of the monsters who 'taught' at the wretched Birmingham comprehensive I went to in the early '80s- violent alcoholics, psychopaths, manic depressives etc. And yet the NUT and other unions had immense power, all they had to do was threaten to strike and society would cower. They could protect their most unspeakable members with impunity. It's thanks to Thatcher that no longer will such scum ever be able to get jobs as teachers again.

Comment

Originally posted by ayrshireman View Post
                          Conservatives (1979-1997): 237 mines closed.
                          Labour (1964-1970, 1974-79): 270 mines closed.

237 in 18 yrs VS 270 in 11 years, yet Maggie gets the blame from the miners?.
                          This points up the fact that many of the changes that took place in society during her Premiership would have happened anyway, regardless of whoever was in power at the time. However, she made it very much worse than it need have been and was far more violently confrontational. So much could have been done much more gradually and painlessly, and some of our mining and other heavy industries could have survived economically.

Comment

Maggie has gone end of an era,but I wont forget what she did to this country and we are paying for it today.Privatisation and Greed eg,Water,Gas,Electric high cost of living.Pensioners families fuel poverty shocking! I will have to work longer before retiring extra 6 years so unfair

Comment

It's the privatisation bit that I did not agree with and still don't.Some things should never of been let out of government control especially important national resources.I did admire her strength but that was all.

Comment

Working...
                              X