Thread: Trying to find the name of some Sci-Fi books i read at school (UK)

Default Trying to find the name of some Sci-Fi books i read at school (UK)

not much to go on but when i was at secondary school, we had a school library that you could take books out of.

normally i took out fantasy books, but one time i tried these Science Fiction books, which i ended up really liking, and reading a few of them.

they were paperback, and pretty short books (also quite thin), basically just short stories i guess, usually about desolate planet exploration or something like that, i'm sure the covers were usually black & white, with some red thrown in, and the author was male with a beard i think (i'm sure it had his pic in, or on the book).

i'd love to find these books again, this would've been around 1994-1997, and they were obviously aimed at my age group (teenagers), any ideas?

Default Re: Trying to find the name of some Sci-Fi books i read at school (UK)

Sci Fi writer with a beard.............isnt that just about every Sci fi writer?

Quote Originally Posted by Shado66 View Post
    Sci Fi writer with a beard.............isnt that just about every Sci fi writer?
    i wouldn't know lol, like i said i didn't usually read Sci-Fi.

That's a pretty vague description. But could it possibly be the Deathworld series by Harry Harrison?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathworld

nah it's not that one unfortunately.

i know it's not much to go on but it's always the same when you remember things from your childhood, it's usually pretty vague lol

I'm older - was at primary school from 1979-85 but I loved a series of sci-fi books called "Vardo" about a hero called Vardo fighting against his ex-friend Dom - there were 6-7 books I think - very thin.

Yeah, I remember those books but I can't remember the names either.
    WELCOME TO HELL!!!