Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Keymarkets supermarkets

Default Re: Keymarkets supermarkets

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi View Post
    I remember Keymarkets, we had one in Yardley in Birmingham, I used to get pippa dolls from there! Also, recall them giving a scratch card sometimes with your shopping and losing my mum in there and feeling horribly frightened....
    It's the little promotional scratch cards that I remember most (along with the little blue and yellow characters they used on their advertising, were they keystone cop type cartoons?). Aylesbury had one in the High Street which disappeared when I was a young lad, probably late 70's or early 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by yurgn29 View Post
    Keymarkets was the first supermarket I remember going to regularly in the early 80s when I was a toddler.

Anyone remember them? Their logo was a big yellow key symbol on a blue background. I remember one in Bath and there was a big one near where the Gateshead Metrocentre is now (I think that one survived a little longer than the others). They got taken over by Gateway I think.
    My step father managed a Key Markets supermarket in the Bournemouth area - possibly Broadstone. I still have some of the Keymarkets paper bags which are exactly as described!

Were Key Markets a bit like Spar or VG? - small in size but local? Haven't read the entire thread so apologies for any possible repetition.

I am certain that I have seen full page adverts for Key in old newspapers online.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!