Best ad of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best ad of all time

There was a TV show on a while back where they went over old advertisements. The winner was the ad for the original Volkswagon Superbeetle. Does anyone remember this one? Lots of snow and a snow plow. The voice over asks, "What does the man who drives the snow plow drive to get to the snow plow?" Then the plow drives away and you see the little VW Bug sitting there. It was great.

My favourite ads were probably the original Tango ads with the fat orange man running around at high speed slapping people! Genius!
    Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
    http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Comment

Didn't they get banned or something? I remember it was all the rage - lunatics going round slapping each other round the face, so apparently they prohibited the advert from being shown.

I also remember one advert that only showed twice for some shampoo product that actually showed a topless woman. I can't remember any other advert that's shown a naked woman before in England, (top fully exposed). I must say that was my favourite advert

There was also that advert jingle: "knock me down with a feather, clever trevor".. if anyone remembers it?

Comment

The Tango ad did get banned and they ended up changing it so that the fat orange guy kissed people instead of slapping them!

Check it out: Tango adverts
        Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
        http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Comment

Groovy, thnx

Comment

"All time" stretches back to the '50s.
            My favourite ad is the Irish Lotto one where the monks win and, vow of silence & all that, can only jump around the place. Head Monk enters the hallway & glares at them. One approaches him, holds up a placard saying : "WE'VE WON !". He then holds one up saying : "What about your vow of poverty ?" to which the junior monk says : "AH F-". The scene cuts to the Lotto logo so's we don't hear the "-uck !" Class.
            Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

the pg tips 1 with the chimps

Comment

My favourites are the Carling Black Label and Hamlet Cigar ads.
                LIFE is a four letter word, but which one...?

Comment

My favourite ad campaign was Unigate Dairies' Humphries!

You never saw them, just their red and white striped straws nicking someone's milk!

Watch out, watch out, there's a Humphrey about!

Comment

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I'll nominate a Carling Black Label advert from the mid '80s.

It began with a weedy cowboy lassooed by a gang of thugs. He then ran off, still tied up, and dragged them all along behind him. Cue 'I'll bet he drinks Carling Black Label'. The real genius was the advert after it. Two women in a supermarket talking about washing powder. One woman removes a box from the shelf, only to see the cowboy from the previous advert now in this one, still being chased by the thugs. It continued into the third advert that followed, it was an advert for some romance compilation album, set in a garden. Suddenly, the cowboy bursts through the hedges, still dragging the thugs behind him.

The first time I saw it was recorded on VHS, and I was so shocked by it being 'three ads in one' I must have watched it ten more times, and countless others afterwards. Anybody else recall this advert? None of my friends my age remember it, and I'm starting to feel I'm delusional and the whole thing is a horrid David Lynch psychosis.
                    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
                    Marcel Proust

Comment

the smash adverts with the tin martians(based on the zeeb and the martians books)
                      also the milk tray adverts and the cinzano bianco ads with leonard rossiter
                      Laugh and the world laughs with you, Sneeze and it's goodbye Seattle.

Comment

Originally posted by Secret lemonade drinker
                        I'm a bit late to this thread, but I'll nominate a Carling Black Label advert from the mid '80s.

It began with a weedy cowboy lassooed by a gang of thugs. He then ran off, still tied up, and dragged them all along behind him. Cue 'I'll bet he drinks Carling Black Label'. The real genius was the advert after it. Two women in a supermarket talking about washing powder. One woman removes a box from the shelf, only to see the cowboy from the previous advert now in this one, still being chased by the thugs. It continued into the third advert that followed, it was an advert for some romance compilation album, set in a garden. Suddenly, the cowboy bursts through the hedges, still dragging the thugs behind him.

The first time I saw it was recorded on VHS, and I was so shocked by it being 'three ads in one' I must have watched it ten more times, and countless others afterwards. Anybody else recall this advert? None of my friends my age remember it, and I'm starting to feel I'm delusional and the whole thing is a horrid David Lynch psychosis.
                        I remember those adverts. Fantastic. Wasn't it the oblivion boys that used to star in them (well the one's that were apart from the action and said "I bet he drinks Caling Black Label")? The one that sticks in my mind was the dambusters one where the nazi guard plays goalkeeper with the bouncing bombs.

My all time favourite ad is a fairly recent one, it was the Rube Goldberg device made up from car parts that lasted for a couple of minutes in one take. I think it was for the Honda accord or something. And then I remembered that this site is for retro stuff and got to thinking what my favourite ad from the 80's was. I think it would have to be the Maxell cassette ad with Pete Murphy. Very, very cool and very simple too.

Comment

You can see some of those Carling ads over at TV Ark. It's in Real Media format, but watchable...

Another favourite advert of mine from the '80s was for shell. It starred a younger Kevin Whately driving his family in a car through a long, dark tunnel of trees at night, Suddenly, animated gjosts and monsters started drifting around the car, with haunting music playing. Of course they got through, and as they drove out from the tunnel, the familiar tagline appeared: 'You can be sure of Shell'.

Anybody else remember that one?
                          The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
                          Marcel Proust

Comment

Hamlett Cigars - the baldy man!!!

all time favourite of mine is baldy man hamlett!

it is that good that I have added it to my site!

http://www.big20reunion.com

Comment

Look at this one for best advert ever!
                              Dean.

Comment

Working...
                              X