Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carry On, Carry On's

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
    That is interesting Nugs. I also read that the cast were not all that happy, some even threatened to quit, when they found out it was not going to be filmed in Spain.
    I loved Hattie Jacques, she was very self conscious of her weight, shame she died so young.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuggy14 View Post
      I loved Hattie Jacques, she was very self conscious of her weight, shame she died so young.

Jacques was a very talented actress, and anyone else in the role of Matron in the Carry Ons is now unimaginable.

A bit of sad trivia. In Carry on Abroad, the actress who played the brothel madam was one of the first that Sid James worked with when he arrived in England from South Africa, and was on the stage with James in 1976 when he suffered his fatal heart attack.

Comment

That is very interesting trivia Donny.
        Carry On Camping was filmed in the winter so the grass in the camp site had to be spray painted green, and thin wire mesh was placed over the top to stop the cast from sinking into mud while walking on it.
        Babs must have been reluctant then to go topless in that famous scene Nugs.. while the other girls were also in bikinis. Cast did it tuff under Peter Rogers. I will seek out more CO trivia and post it.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
          Jacques was a very talented actress, and anyone else in the role of Matron in the Carry Ons is now unimaginable.

A bit of sad trivia. In Carry on Abroad, the actress who played the brothel madam was one of the first that Sid James worked with when he arrived in England from South Africa, and was on the stage with James in 1976 when he suffered his fatal heart attack.
          Had not heard of that staffslad. Sad indeed. Know her name?

Comment

Had not heard of that staffslad. Sad indeed. Know her name?

Her name was Olga Lowe. She was acting with James and was first to realise something was wrong after he didn't respond to her dialogue.

Comment

That is sad news. I read that people thought it was part of Sids performance that he was ill on stage.

Comment

Babs must have been reluctant then to go topless in that famous scene Nugs.. while the other girls were also in bikinis. Cast did it tuff under Peter Rogers. I will seek out more CO trivia and post it.
                She didn't look reluctant in Carry On Dick, as she rang the church bells her top flew open, predictable but funny!

Comment

That is sad news. I read that people thought it was part of Sids performance that he was ill on stage.

I believe you are right. Similar to when Tommy Cooper had a heart attack and the audience thought he was fooling about as part of his act.

Comment

Carry On Doctor: Contains a sly reference to Carry On Nurse (1959), specifically the daffodil thermometer scene. When a nurse approaches Francis Bigger with a daffodil, he says, "Oh no you don't! I saw that film!"

Comment

Carry On Doctor: Contains a sly reference to Carry On Nurse (1959), specifically the daffodil thermometer scene. When a nurse approaches Francis Bigger with a daffodil, he says, "Oh no you don't! I saw that film!"
                      Haha! I remember that scene

Comment

In Follow that Camel, filming was delayed several times as there was snow covering the sand.

Phil Silvers played Sgt Knocker. Is that the only instance of an American actor in a Carry On? Can't think of any others, but I stand to be corrected.

Comment

In Follow that Camel, filming was delayed several times as there was snow covering the sand.

Phil Silvers played Sgt Knocker. Is that the only instance of an American actor in a Carry On? Can't think of any others, but I stand to be corrected.
                          They also had problems with a camel that couldn't walk on sand, having lived in a zoo all it's life!

Kenneth Williams found Phil Silvers using idiot boards to remember his lines amateurish.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                            They also had problems with a camel that couldn't walk on sand, having lived in a zoo all it's life!

Kenneth Williams found Phil Silvers using idiot boards to remember his lines amateurish.
                            Interesting trivia here.

Comment

Interesting trivia here.
                              I read about those in a book about the Carry Ons
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post

I can believe that about Silvers. Was he on something or sotted to the eyeballs. He spoiled that film and no mistake.

Comment

Working...
                                X