Carry On, Carry On's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Carry On, Carry On's

In Carry on up the Jungle, Bernard Bresslaw, who played Upsidasi, gave orders to the native bearers in Swahili. Unfortunately, the actors were all of Caribbean descent and couldn't understand him.

Also, the film was to be Carry on Tarzan, but the estate of Edgar Rice Burroughs held copyright on the name Tarzan, so it could not be used.

In Doctor, Kenneth Williams played Dr Tinkle, while in Jungle, Frankie Howard played Professor Tinkle--are they supposed to be related? Probably not, but interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
      In Carry on up the Jungle, Bernard Bresslaw, who played Upsidasi, gave orders to the native bearers in Swahili. Unfortunately, the actors were all of Caribbean descent and couldn't understand him.
      I heard he got the thumps up from Sid James for his efforts.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
        I heard he got the thumps up from Sid James for his efforts.

He was an intelligent man and spent time between takes reading quite erudite books. Learning to say his lines in swahili was certainly going that extra mile, but typical of what I have read about him. He passed away at a far too young age.

Comment

I watched Carry on Camping a week or so ago. What struck me about this 1969 film is just how more daring and risque it was compared to entries in the series from just a few years previously. I suppose it reflects the general relaxation in film censorship that was happening at the time. Also, Sid James character is now fully transformed into what we usually associate with the series, as opposed to the authority or quasi-authority figure he played in earlier films: police officer, taxi company owner, ship's captain.

Comment

My favourite is Carry On Again Doctor - I was delighted back in 1996 when I visited WHSmith in Leicester and found that they were selling that video under the Cinema Club brand for just £4.99.

As I have said before, my favourite scene was when Jimmy Nookey (Jim Dale) fuses the x-ray machine and puts the hospital into chaos. And also the Valerie Leon character (Deirdre?) in his office as well - I almost ruined my video copy by pausing it on the "right moment" so many times to have a good look at what I wanted to see - if you know what I mean.
            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

My favourite has got to be Carry On Camping. The pinnacle of the Carry On Series. It's never been bettered. Even now me and my colleague at work keep saying quotes from this comedy classic mostly Josh Fiddler's £1 speech - per tent or per person. Whichever's the greater!

Comment

I have always said that the Carry On films reaches its peak in 1968-1970.

Carry On Camping (a double meaning word in comedy terms as we all know) was great as well - the opening scenes with Sid and co watching an X rated film at the cinema. Cue ice lolly dropped on lap etc. And Josh Fiddler (Peter Butterworth?) who charges them a pound to get in, a pound for rent, a pound for luck etc.

As well as Sid James character wanting something from a shop (Valerie Leon or Gail Grainger as the shop assistant - most likely to be Leon), and is so embarrassed that Sid asks for "a tube of toothpaste", as if it was a late 1960s equivalent of a Mates condoms advert. "We don't sell toothpaste". "Aspirins?" etc. I know that Grainger was in Abroad - I don't need to be reminded of that!

The hole in the changing room where Sid spies on Barbara Windsor's character, and Sid gets squirted with toothpaste in his eye for his troubles. And the pan of hot soup that Sid puts his feet in and almost boils them.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Surprised you do not take part in the Carry On quiz George.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
                    Surprised you do not take part in the Carry On quiz George.
                    A belated Happy Birthday to you too George. Both Leo the Lions eh.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                      My favourite is Carry On Again Doctor - I was delighted back in 1996 when I visited WHSmith in Leicester and found that they were selling that video under the Cinema Club brand for just £4.99.

As I have said before, my favourite scene was when Jimmy Nookey (Jim Dale) fuses the x-ray machine and puts the hospital into chaos. And also the Valerie Leon character (Deirdre?) in his office as well - I almost ruined my video copy by pausing it on the "right moment" so many times to have a good look at what I wanted to see - if you know what I mean.
                      George, you crack me up mate....happy birthday for thursday!
                      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Carry on behind is one that is often overlooked perhaps because Sid wasn't in it but i liked it a lot, in a similar vein to camping me thinks!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                          Carry on behind is one that is often overlooked perhaps because Sid wasn't in it but i liked it a lot, in a similar vein to camping me thinks!
                          I'm not a radical feminist but even I can see what's wrong there but I have to admit this was part of the way things were back then and stands to reason of how far we have come in caring for a women's dignity.

Nice pants though! may go shopping later x
                          Always ready for chat.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                            Agree, one of my favourites along with Convenience
                            The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Fenella fielding has died aged 90, star of regardless and screaming.RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
                                Agree, one of my favourites along with Convenience
                                Yes, many a toilet joke could be used in that one. "Let's get down to business" "on the factory floor" were great lines.
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X