Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carry On, Carry On's

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
    Just thinking about the Carry Ons, particularly the later ones where innuendo and double entendres were more to the fore. Does anyone else consider that the Frankie Howard 'Up' series of films, Up Pompeii, Up the Chastity Belt and Up the Front have a bit of a Carry On feel to them? I would also put the trio of 'On the Buses' films also into that category, though possibly more tentatively. I mean, if there had been a Carry on Busman made in the late 60s/early 70s, can anyone else see Sid James playing the Stan Butler character?
    Yes I too can see Sid as Butler in Carry On Busman. Would have beaten Wolf & Chesney to the punch as well. I could never stomach Frankie Howerd so never took to the Up series. Also turned off by the way he talked to the camera. So in answer to your questions staffslad.. I do not compare it to Carry On.

Comment

Speaking of Screaming.
      Harry H. Corbett replaced Sidney James due to illness. (Was that his first heart attack?) Despite this, his character name of Sidney Bung, was kept. Sidney James' characters on TV and film were very often also called Sid.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
        Nugs. Hawtrey would not have been a full blown alchoholic then so his popularity was at its peak. Interested to know why Peter Rogers kept him out of the cast of Screaming in the first place. Dan Dann the Dunny (Aussie expression for toilet) Man. ha ha.
        Haha! We have our own expression here in Liverpool for a toilet... bog!! Haha

Comment

Speaking of Screaming.
          Harry H. Corbett replaced Sidney James due to illness. (Was that his first heart attack?) Despite this, his character name of Sidney Bung, was kept. Sidney James' characters on TV and film were very often also called Sid.
          Not sure, he was in bed most of the time in Doctor as he was recovering from his heart attack, but that was 1967. I thought he had his heart attack around the time of Follow that Camel, though I don't think it caused him not to be in that one. Perhaps he wasn't in Screaming due to other commitments?

Comment

Originally posted by Nuggy14 View Post
            Haha! We have our own expression here in Liverpool for a toilet... bog!! Haha

There is also the word khasi or khazi for a toilet. Remember in Khyber Kenneth Williams character was called the Khasi?

Comment

There is also the word khasi or khazi for a toilet. Remember in Khyber Kenneth Williams character was called the Khasi?
              Yes I have heard of khazi/khasi.. a Cockney expression isnt it. Alf Garnett used it often in TDDUP if not mistaken.

Comment

Just thinking about the Carry Ons, particularly the later ones where innuendo and double entendres were more to the fore. Does anyone else consider that the Frankie Howard 'Up' series of films, Up Pompeii, Up the Chastity Belt and Up the Front have a bit of a Carry On feel to them? I would also put the trio of 'On the Buses' films also into that category, though possibly more tentatively. I mean, if there had been a Carry on Busman made in the late 60s/early 70s, can anyone else see Sid James playing the Stan Butler character?
                Talbot Rothwell & Sid Colin, who scripted most of the golden age Carry Ons also wrote for Up Pompeii, the the similarity isn't surprising, 1 or 2 Carry On Regulars turn up in episodes, like Barbara Windsor as Nymphomania.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Yes I have heard of khazi/khasi.. a Cockney expression isnt it. Alf Garnett used it often in TDDUP if not mistaken.

I am not sure about its derivation. Yes, Alf used it in the Till Death series. I had assumed it had an asian or african origin from its sound, but I have nothing to back that up.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                    Talbot Rothwell & Sid Colin, who scripted most of the golden age Carry Ons also wrote for Up Pompeii, the the similarity isn't surprising, 1 or 2 Carry On Regulars turn up in episodes, like Barbara Windsor as Nymphomania.

I was thinking of the 'Up' films, but I think you are right extending it to the Up Pompeii series.

Comment

Carry On Camping probably contains the most uses of a metaphor, with characters including Sid Boggle (James), Kenneth Soaper (Williams), Charlie Muggins (Hawtrey), Bernie Lugg (Bresslaw), Joan Fussey (Sims), Anthea Meeks (Laye) and Babs (Windsor). think about it Nugs.

Comment

Carry On Camping probably contains the most uses of a metaphor, with characters including Sid Boggle (James), Kenneth Soaper (Williams), Charlie Muggins (Hawtrey), Bernie Lugg (Bresslaw), Joan Fussey (Sims), Anthea Meeks (Laye) and Babs (Windsor). think about it Nugs.

Plus Peter Butterworth's character, Joshua Fiddler. I think James comments on his appropriate name at one point.

Comment

Plus Peter Butterworth's character, Joshua Fiddler. I think James comments on his appropriate name at one point.
                          My all time fave, Carry On Camping! Mr Fiddler went for a P!

Comment

Joshua Fiddler of course. Sid comments while paying Fiddler "dont know if anybody ever told you but your name certainly suits you"
                            Last edited by Donald the Great; 21-03-2018, 00:43.

Comment

Joshua Fiddler of course. Sid comments while paying Fiddler "dont know if anybody ever told you but your name certainly suits you"
                              It certainly did suit him the way he kept charging them money when he saw Sids notes!

Comment

Has anyone seen the TV film that was made some time ago about the relationship between Sid James and Babs Windsor? I think it was called Cor Blimey. There were some obvious errors in the chronology of the Carry On series, but I thought the actors portraying James, Windsor, Williams, Hawtrey etc did a pretty good job. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Comment

Working...
                                X