Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Carry On, Carry On's

Originally posted by Nuggy14 View Post
    I think i've read about this before staffslad, it's very spooky and i would never step foot into that dressing room if i was an entertainer!

Dawson is also reported to have seen the apparition of a little girl singing Ring-a-Ring-o'-Roses in his dressing room, though I am not sure if that was also at the Sunderland Empire. I am usually sceptical on such matters, but Dawson was a very intelligent man, knowledgeable and able to converse on a wide range of subjects, so it does make me stop and think.

Comment

I think i've read about this before staffslad, it's very spooky and i would never step foot into that dressing room if i was an entertainer!
      spooky indeed Nugs. "apparition looked ghastly" Well Sid was no oil painting when alive either.ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
        spooky indeed Nugs. "apparition looked ghastly" Well Sid was no oil painting when alive either.ha ha
        He was great in Carry On films and i think his 'rough around the edges appearance' worked in his favour. I think i read somewhere he was a gambler and fritted away most of his money on the horses.

Comment

He was great in Carry On films and i think his 'rough around the edges appearance' worked in his favour. I think i read somewhere he was a gambler and fritted away most of his money on the horses.

I think Carry on Darkly brought up Sid's fondness for gambling. If I remember correctly, it said his wife tried to keep it under control by giving him a weekly allowance. I also read somewhere that Sid loved to read crime fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
            I think Carry on Darkly brought up Sid's fondness for gambling. If I remember correctly, it said his wife tried to keep it under control by giving him a weekly allowance. I also read somewhere that Sid loved to read crime fiction.
            I watched that and that is correct about Sid's gambling and the weekly allowance. That reminds me of when I was first married.

Comment

I watched that and that is correct about Sid's gambling and the weekly allowance. That reminds me of when I was first married.

I read somewhere that prior to becoming a prolific and successful author, Laurence James worked in Foyle's bookshop, where he would save the latest crime books when they came in on friday's for Sid James to pick up.

Comment

At Your Convenience was often known as "Carry On Round the Bend" outside the UK but this alternate title still functioned as a tagline on British movie posters for the picture by saying "The CARRY ON team carries on round the bend!".

Joan Sims's first day on the set was 29 March 1971. In her autobiography she explains that she was not keen on this film. No reason why.

Comment

Mention of the chimp on the Carry On quiz thread reminded me that it threw a tantrum during filming of Carry on Regardless, causing damage to the set, and it took its handlers an hour to calm it down.

Comment

Carry On Behind has a unique record. Is the only Carry On to ever run over time and over budget due to the poor weather conditions. This was unheard of previously as Rogers and Thomas kept strict control over budget and filming schedules . Dont you just love the English climate.

Reportedly, actress Elke Sommer's salary was UK £30,000 which was around six times more than series anchors Sid James or Kenneth Williams ever was. No doubt Sid and Kenneth were a not all too pleased.

Comment

Carry On Behind has a unique record. Is the only Carry On to ever run over time and over budget due to the poor weather conditions. This was unheard of previously as Rogers and Thomas kept strict control over budget and filming schedules . Dont you just love the English climate.

Reportedly, actress Elke Sommer's salary was UK £30,000 which was around six times more than series anchors Sid James or Kenneth Williams ever was. No doubt Sid and Kenneth were a not all too pleased.

I thought Sommer was really good in Carry on Behind. A shame she didn't make more Carry Ons. I think the salary Phil Silvers got for Follow that Camel was also a bone of contention for the regulars.

Comment

I thought Sommer was really good in Carry on Behind. A shame she didn't make more Carry Ons. I think the salary Phil Silvers got for Follow that Camel was also a bone of contention for the regulars.
                        Silvers spoilt Camel.. evidently he was only cast as Rogers wanted to break into the American market.

Comment

Silvers spoilt Camel.. evidently he was only cast as Rogers wanted to break into the American market.

Yes, that is my understanding as well. I liked Silvers as Bilko, but I am not keen on him as Sgt Knocker in Follow that Camel.

Comment

As I mentioned before he annoyed Kenneth Williams & some of the more "professional" actors by reading his lines off idiot boards, but made an effort to learn them after hearing the complaints.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I like her accent in Behind.

Comment

Not sure if this is true, but I read that in Carry on Doctor, Kenneth Williams originally turned down the role of Dr Tinkle in favour of playing Francis Bigger, but finding he didn't like it, went back to playing Dr Tinkle. This puzzles me as the script is clearly written with Frankie Howard in mind for playing Bigger--just listen to it and it's hard to imagine Bigger's lines being said by Williams.

Comment

Working...
                                X