CB RADIO..What was your "Handle" ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CB RADIO..What was your "Handle" ??

Mine was Midnight Lady, simply because that was the time I used to go on after work.

I had a 30 foot silver rod attached to the rear garden fence, and I could easily talk to people in Western Europe.

I also used to help run our local CB club where we had monthly meetings with a bit of music & drinks, and people could buy & sell equipment.

About 3 times a year we'd arrange to go and meet other groups in different parts of the country nas well, so we got to make a lot of like minded friends. Happy days, though ultimately sadly spoiled by the ''wallies''!!

Comment

Blimey this takes me back. My handle was sidecar as my boyfriend at the time had a motorbike and he had a CB Radio in his bedroom which I thought was pretty cool

Comment

My handle at first was Sandscorcher then PD3. However my Dad was the one who was really into CB Radio and later Amateur Radio. His handle was Superfly, call sign as a radio ham was G7CGD.

Based in the Leicester area my Dad was fairly well known. Sadly he passed away nearly 20 years ago now but I've created a tribute site with the hope of reminding those who were on the CB back in the 80's about him.

Feel free to pay it a visit if you remember Superfly - would be much appreciated...

A quarter of a mile from the Hinckley Road donut… in the central republic of Braunstone…

Regards,

John Nelson.

Comment

Lordy.

When my brother got me one, Raiders of the Lost Ark just came out. Rather than call myself Indiana Jones or something cool, I went with Ark Raider, which everyone misheard as Heart Breaker. Very embarrassing. I think I had a Midland CB, can't remember the model, and a SWR meter, and a magnetic twig on a biscuit tin that I kept having to move around the room, as stuff constantly interfered and would send my SWR through the roof. Once I finally got a decent signal, I was able to get from Camden Square to Liverpool Street in London, and that was about it. There was a LOT of having to repeat yourself on it, and losing people out of disinterest, but I do remember some cool late night chats with people where someone with a really good signal would act as a kind of moderator, and could pass stuff along if not everyone could hear everyone else's signal.

It was our chat room. Our internet. And it's funny that we were given the same rules from our parents as kids do now. Never give out your name, never agree to meet anybody, never say where you live.
          Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

My Handle was Silver Tiger and I lived in Winsford Cheshire!
            picked my handle from one of those grey/silver tiger posters from woolworths!

got my first rig in 1979 and loved it! it was a general electric 40 channel am set, but there was a shop near us in a town called Northwich which had new cobra 148 gtl dx for sale! they were £225 even then, couldnt squeeze my parents for one no matter what then a mate was really short of cash and i bought his cobra, bargain £90 and believe it or not, I still own it!

love this subject and hearing from you all!

Andy

Comment

I never had one but my sister and I had walkie talkies which I used to tune in to the CBers in the area when i was in bed late at night. Was hilarious listening to guys trying to crack on to girls. "Any YL's out there tonight?'" Haahaa! The memories.

Comment

yep my handle was and still is the Suicide Jockey since 1972
                1 of the originals

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                  yep my handle was and still is the Suicide Jockey since 1972
                  1 of the originals
                  That's CB slang for a trucker hauling explosives, as mentioned in Convoy.

For years I wondered what some of the jargon mention was, until I found a website that made it seem a lot clearer.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                    That's CB slang for a trucker hauling explosives, as mentioned in Convoy.

For years I wondered what some of the jargon mention was, until I found a website that made it seem a lot clearer.
                    a Suicide Jockey is a trucker that hauls anything that might cause an explosion or is said to be dangerous like ice road trucking /driving through some Arabian or mainly desert areas / carrying fuel/ chemicals /and explosives

Comment

Drummer boy
                      Surprisingly enough because I had a drum set!
                      sigpic

Comment

My handle was "The Black Beetle" . I spoke all over the world in the late 70's.
                        Haven't been on air for over 20 years. Must get back again.

Comment

We didn't have CB radio but one of our neighbours did and his handle was 'Dragon Man'. The funny thing was we only ever referred to the guy as Dragon Man. I have no idea what his real name was!
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

One of my mates is a trucker his handle is Brown Warrior
                            The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Hi
                              My CB Handle was "Baby Duck" back in 1980/81 we had a base station Cobra I think. I was pregnant and when the baby (a girl) was born she was given the handle of "Little Pearl" we lived in Walthamstow East London, and had various friends "Dairy Ted" and "Marlin" are two that I remember.

Comment

Bit before my time, but I just wanted to post this in connection with it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEzkUqguL_U

Comment

Working...
                                X