CB RADIO..What was your "Handle" ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CB RADIO..What was your "Handle" ??

So what did you all chat about with other CB'ers? Life, stuff? Nonsense? Make jokes? Play jokes?

Also, why was Arod banned - what did she do?

Comment

Just read this whole thread... Good grief... Where to start?
      There's a lot of 'hads' here, they should be 'still haves'! Got my first Cb in '81. Still have it, still installed, and still working. That's not counting the other dozen or more radios around the place. 40' mast in the garden attached to a Grandstand homebase (beast of a rig) that sits right beside the PC. I've had them in every vehicle I ever owned. Locally there's still about a dozen of us and convos range from 'Can anyone hear me?' to the weather (obviously, we're British) to local history, what's on tv, my pc dosn't work, life, the universe and everything. For a few years licences were issued with call signs but are now no-longer required. We tend to use either phone style on-glass antennas or a short base mounted whip replacing the standard aerial with a splitter on the other end, so fairly inconspicuous really. We are still out there, although not quite so easy to spot.
      Can't remember what your rig looked like? Find it here! http://radiopics.com/index.html

Comment

ha ha gosh i use to love my cb i was sport billy and remember going to the highest spot in my area and sit there in our cars and chat all night lol we use to have compitions who contacted the person the furthest away
        THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

My CB. Handle was " The Black Beetle"

Comment

My CB handle is HAWKEYE or Big Chief depending on where i am

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
              My CB handle is HAWKEYE or Big Chief depending on where i am
              I been a cb'er since 1964 most of my life spent in a cab of a truck now that i am retired i still love talking to my trucker friend on channel ONE NINE I live in Eastern PA I am one of the originals originals my call letters were KBT6909 my wife's handle's are rosebud, black rose, and now white dove

Comment

My handle in the late 80s was Urban Warrior (!)

I had two rigs back in the late 80s, not particularly good ones though...a Grandstand Bluebird, and an Amstrad 901. The twig I used was a Thunderpole III.

I've been seriously considering getting a CB radio again.

Comment

RetroTechRules:- Are CB Radio coming back in to fashion?

Comment

My handle was Captain Crash, as I have a tendency to bump into things in shops and the like :-).. My dad had a homebase in the 80s and I had a Harvard CB rig in my first car in the late 90s. I'm into scanning( I have a Bearcat homebase and another Bearcat handheld) and listening to the strange stuff on shortwave late at night(UVB-76). I'm thinking about fitting a CB in my van now, as I visit a lot of remote sites for work and phone reception is non-existent.

Comment

I was 'Equalizer' for the most part, certainly all through the late 80s and early 90s up until 'the final switch off' in 1994.
                      Used to operate a Ham International 'Jumbo' with a Sadelta base mic and a blue rod antenna, also had lots of other rigs including my lovely Realistic TRC-2000 which was a Uniace 200 with a different front. Still got my minty Colt Excalibur base station and I'm considering getting back into it especially with the new allowance for SSB and AM. (Using approved sets only!).

Comment

My handle was Jay Walker as my first CB was a two channel Binatone handheld on channels 14 & 30. I later progressed to a Rotel RVC240 bought from Comet for £94.90 which was a bit expensive back then

I still have a Skiptech HS2000 40 channel hand-held & a Fidelity 3000 homebase though nowadays there is very little radio traffic save for the odd passing trucker. There is more activity on 446mhz PMR now than CB

I did have a Cobra 148DX and that rig was amazing compared to a Fidelity 1000 I also had.
                        sigpic
                        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Heh - I was "mudslinger" when I had some CB owning mates... Was fun for a few weeks, at least...

I think there's a forum user here called mudslinger now, too... how things come around full circle...

Comment

Sorry I guess I'm in a minority may-be as I never had a name - people just used to know by chat and voice etc when on CB etc

I guess in a way i's because i can be a private person and never go in for usernames/names unless I really like that thing/subject (as I did with CB) but not all the time though - hence may-be a larger reason too I'm guessng/wandering as why!

80sChav

Comment

started of on the cb in the early 70's.
                              my handle back then was bandit joe,dnt ask me why.
                              thought I would post,because I have recentely set up a system again.back then it was cobra 148gtldx,sigma 4 and a dirty grt 400 watt boot.

it is slowly coming back and beats computers hands down.im on now on a daily basis and we have around 30 people on in an area around 50 miles,grt fun.

rigged myself up with a 1981 grandstand home baseman anytone 10-11 meter,sirio gainmaster antenna and a 600 watt kl503 and turner expander base mic,grt setup.
                              about time a few more took the plunge,you would surprised just how many are out there.

73's good buddy.

Comment

Never had a CB myself, but a friend in school had one. He got very addicted to it. His mother put pay to it in the end. She got fed up with him "jabbering away" on it at all hours, particularly Friday & Saturday nights. Around 2:30 am one Sunday morning, she burst into his bedroom, disconnected it (during mid conversation), then threw it down the stairs. He was put out with withdrawal symptoms for a while after. I can't remember his CB name (Handle), but he used to be in conversation with a female called Pink Panther. Embarrassment followed when the said Pink Panther, turned out to be his own cousin. He had been telling her how pretty she must be etc, etc. It turned out he did not recognise her voice over the radio. He never really lived this down. I don't know what become of him, last heard of him in 1988 living around the London area.
                                Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Working...
                                X