• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eddie Braben

A very talented man, RIP.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22607531

Re: Eddie Braben

RIP Mr. Braben. Thank you for the many laughs.

Comment

very sad to hear, r I p mr braben.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Legend. Giant.

Comment

R.I.P. comedy legend.

Comment

Comment

Eddie Braben's genius was transforming Eric & Ernie into the familiar figures that we all know and love. Their first TV show, "Two of a Kind" (actually their first successful show because they had an earlier one in the '50s called "Running Wild" which was a complete flop), followed the standard comic-straight man formula which was totally unsuited to their personalities. Personally, I find some of their ATV series a bit painful to watch because Eric comes off as completely clueless while Ernie is something of a bully.

When the duo moved to the BBC, Braben was hired on as writer starting with the second series after the original writers left following Eric's first heart attack (they thought he would never work again). Instead of the comic/straight man formula, Braben gave Eric & Ernie distinct comic personalities with a bit of role reversal by making Eric the smarter of the two who was perfectly content to let his partner believe otherwise while Ernie became the naive narcissist and frustrated writer whose literary ambitions found unfortunate expression in the "plays what he wrote," while at the same time projecting the warmth that was a reflection of their genuine close friendship.

Comment

Working...
              X