Mike Flowers Pops - Wonderwall Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Flowers Pops - Wonderwall Cover

Can any other members recall this song what Mike Flowers sang in the 1990s after Oasis made it famous? How it was sung was really fantastic I thought and one of the best versions of someone else's song i've heard in quite a long time.

Mike became a bit quite popular with his unique voice after he sang Wonderwall I think and gave music a new differing style on certain songs I thoughtt. It would be great if any other members recall Mike Flowers and what they think about his music - be it Wonderwall or any other song.

Thanks,

80sChav

Re: Mike Flowers Pops - Wonderwall Cover

I remember a friend having a copy, the CD label was designed to look like a vinyl single.

The song was quirky, being very 1960s easy listening rendition.

Some people don't like the fact it managed to keep Pulp's Common People off number 1.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

That's weird, I was watching this on youtube not so long ago when i was in a Click image for larger version

Name:	stereo.gif
Views:	1
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	260395 mood.

I remember when it first came out, a radio one dj (chris evans maybe) said it was the original version of Wonderwall.....I fell for it too!

They also covered some other songs including 'don't cry for me argentina', 'the in crowd'..........and this one...

Comment

The clever thing that Mike Roberts (Flowers) did at the time was to compose an original song, Son Of God as the B-side (or extra track on the CD single) so he got a big cheque as well as Noel G on the sales. A shrewd move that Marc Almond should have been advised to do with his cover of Tainted Love. The B side was another cover Where Did Our Love Go? Gah!

I used to see MFP play all the time in the mid-Nineties. Fantastic nights out. Mike is still going strong, performing and composing soundtracks.

Comment

They used this in the background of a Hole in the Wall episode.

Comment

I haven't heard that version but i always hated the original.
            "..and after all, you're my wonderwall"
            What the heck is a "wonderwall" anyway? Nobody yet has been able to tell me.

Comment

Noel lifted the title from George Harrison's first solo album called Wonderwall (1968)

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                Some people don't like the fact it managed to keep Pulp's Common People off number 1.
                It didn't, both the Flowers and Oasis versions reached number 2. Pulp's Common People was released earlier, May 95, whilst Oasis released Wonderwall in Oct 95 and Mike Flowers version was released in December.
                The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

"Is the correct answer!" --- Bruce Forsyth --- The Generation Game Circa 1974.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Sandwich View Post
                    Noel lifted the title from George Harrison's first solo album called Wonderwall (1968)
                    Thanks for the info but that still does not explain what a wonderwall is.
                    The song makes even less sense now,if that's possible.

"And after all ,you're my copy of George Harrison's first solo album"

T

Comment

Take your pick from here http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=wonderwall
                      The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
                        It didn't, both the Flowers and Oasis versions reached number 2. Pulp's Common People was released earlier, May 95, whilst Oasis released Wonderwall in Oct 95 and Mike Flowers version was released in December.
                        Sorry should have checked that out, I'm sure someone told me that once.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I loved the wonderwall video and song.

Comment

Originally posted by stud1al View Post
                            What the heck is a "wonderwall" anyway?
                            This is very nearly a Travis lyric

Comment

It was OK the first time, but became annoying very quickly.

Comment

Working...
                              X