Plastic toy car with 5th wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic toy car with 5th wheel?

I'm trying to track down a particular toy car I had when I was a kid.

The unique thing I remember about it is it had a 'hidden' fifth wheel under the chassis. If you cam imagine the toy had a sort of 'quarter-circle-arc' cut out of the plastic chassis in which which this fifth wheel could roll and pivot. I'm not sure what exactly this fifth wheel was supposed to do but I guess it might had something to do with making the car do 'quick turns' or 'donuts' or something?

The cars was plastic probably around 12 inches in length (though I can never really judge the scale of things from when I was a kid so it could have been smaller). It defo was bigger than a matchbox superking for example so it wasn't a 'mini' toy anyway. Also it wasn't a matchbox trick-shifter or anything of that nature.

Did this type of toy car have any type of generic name or description so that I could start tracking it down?

I think I had the same toy (or something similar). I'm pretty sure it was flywheel or pull-back powered and the 5th wheel caused it to turn round and come back to you.

Comment

Re: Plastic toy car with 5th wheel?

I'm sure I had something like that. It was a plastic friction-driven car with blue-tinted windows and the hidden wheel was on a ratchet mechanism so it could be set so the car drove in a circle. I remember those battery-powered toys that had a bump-n-go turntable with small wheels underneath. I never saw the point to those things.

Comment

I had one, A big white Porsche 911 when you turned it on it used to go around in circles and had flashing headlights and it was noisy. It was made of plastic and about 15 inches long and about 8 inches wide, i think they where made in Hong Kong.

Comment

I had a couple of this style of car, but battery powered. I think the strange fifth wheel was used in quite a few toy cars.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Does it count as reliving my childhood if I've never grown up?

Comment

Did these toy cars come out in the early 1980s? I think my brother had one, or something similar. It was battery powered and made up like a an Airfix kit. I don't know what happened to it, but he did not have it long.
            Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

They used to put an arc pivoting 5th wheel under cheap remote control cars which didn't have an electronic steering control.
              The 5th wheel performed a cheap steering function depending on which way it was moving. Going forwards the car would go straight. Put it in reverse and the 5th wheel slid down the arced cutout causing it to reverse and turn, allowing a cheapie control method.

Comment

was it like this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWn515tOcPA

Comment

Working...
                X