What was your first job when leaving school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was your first job when leaving school

An office junior doing all the dirty work answering phones collecting mail stamping invoices with company name on amongst more odd jobs.Some staff were nice but older ones who had been there for years would boss you about hated it left after 4 months.

Re: What was your first job when leaving school

i worked on a farm for 2 yrs really hard physical work but i didnt mind.

believe me i did and saw some amazing sights.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

YTS if that counts, mechanics (1 month in training centre, 2 month on placement for a year). 120 of us, 1 with a proper job at the end of it and even then, that company went under within a year.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
        i worked on a farm for 2 yrs really hard physical work but i didnt mind.

believe me i did and saw some amazing sights.
        Nice smells too pigs and cows

Comment

I worked behind the till of a Co-op Pioneer on a Sunday. Only did it for 2 weeks then I got kitchen work at a local hotel with more hours. Part-time wages in 1995 were about £3 an hour!! Then I started college and had to fit the job around the courses doing late nights and weekends. I had no social life at all. Since then, I've avoided weekend work like the plague.

Comment

Went straight into a large food factory making pies.It was a huge shock to the system.So many people crammed together like battery chickens and the smell was horrendous.Put me off pies etc for many years after.It was a really old business and still had the slaughter house on the site.Money was fairly ok but that was all.People just did not have time for any others even those they were supposed to train up to operate the machines.I left after a few months.

Comment

The longest I lasted in an egg production line was 2 days that was horendous loads of flies around the farm flying round the canteen.There are disgusting jobs about then and now,depends if you have the stomach for them

Comment

I joined a building firm as soon as I left school, I intended to just do it for a couple of months for the cash.........I lasted 27 years.

Comment

Originally posted by themilkman View Post
                  I joined a building firm as soon as I left school, I intended to just do it for a couple of months for the cash.........I lasted 27 years.
                  Good for you sticking to your first job it was meant to be

Comment

Started working as a Cheesemakers Assistant straight after leaving college, finally left the business 17 years later.

Comment

Working at Iceland and then Safeways when they built a new one in Ormskirk back in 1996.

Comment

My my full time job was for a small car insurance company.

It was a mixed bag, the work could be hard & the hours were long, but the atmosphere was mostly good as there was a youngish workforce.

During the time I got more & more settled into the swing of things.

I was there a year a year & a bit before the company had to shed most of the staff due to loosing a contract. It managed to pick things up but they wern't automatically taking anybody back.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I worked in a laboratory in a lead recycling plant. I left to go back to 6th form.

Comment

My first job was in a factory in November 1983, making buttons. Started there on a Monday morning at 8am. Fed up and hated it by 8:30am!!! The job lasted for just over six months. I jumped for joy when they made me redundant. During mid winter, I saw very little daylight. I honestly felt depressed. A couple of good points. Firstly, the money was not good, but it was more than two weeks "dole". Secondly, there was a record and video rental shop called Pepper Records in Porth. That Christmas they had a sale on for Atari 2600 video consoles, complete with two games, Pac-man and Space Invaders. £50 instead of £70. I had money to buy it. Thirdly, I had paid enough National Insurance stamp to qualify for full "dole", £27.05 per week instead of £17.45 per week. I was sixteen at the time, and this amount seemed great.
                            Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

An office junior doing all the dogs body stuff.Do this do thatFiling,mail,stamping invoices,changing prices on a loud machine hated that,answering the phone taking orders from customers,taking filled in invoices to warehouse stayed for 5 months then moved on

Comment

Working...
                              X