Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was your garden like when you were young

Did you have garden as a kid what did you remember about it

My father grew vegetables in rows potatoes,runner beans,onions,carrots,peas etc
    It was hard going digging planting keeping the weeds at bay

We had lawns to cut privet hedges the only flowers I can remember having was primroses and a pink hydrangea

Re: What was your garden like when you were young

Dad always had a well kept garden with a great looking lawn and enough veggies to feed the whole street.Grandad did as well.Come to think of it the time when I was a kid was a time everybody had well kept gardens as it was a source of pride amongst neighbours.Some even tried to outdo each other with the flowers they had on display in their gardens or the veggies they grew.In those days there were low wire fences across each garden nowdays its tall hedges of horrid evergreens and grass up to your eye ball or horrendous gravel or tarmac front yards for the car.Some gardens now look like a big oil slick or a scrap yard.Many more have gone under the builders and have been built on.When I look at an old photo of us kids out the front garden in the 70's where we have a view up the road it was a diffrent world from whats there today.We used to regularly get horse manuer or stuff from the mushroom farms delivered for the garden and the ash from the coal fire was great for keeping slugs and snails at bay.Don't see any of that happening today.

Comment

my garden when i was young was same as it is now carnt find nothing but even more sheds
      down my mum and dads that is lol
      THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

we never had a garden well a concrete one,but my uncle had one and still does and when I was much younger I would go to his house every Saturday. Id Sometimes id help him cut the grass using one of those lawnmowers that you just pushed you did not put petrol in it. he never grew anything in his garden although he had lots of nice plants and flowers. one time he had a huge bees nest growing in his shed scared me to death.
        Last edited by darren; 23-06-2013, 23:45.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I think people had more time and pride for their gardens back in the old days,cutting hedges with a hand shears now its done in no time with an electric trimmer.We had one of those push along mowers with a tray in the front to collect the grass in no petrol or electric mowers,it was hard going I coudnt use it.We also grew sweet peas with netting but digging the vegetable plots were hard going.

Comment

those lawnowers where far better than any petrol one.

he had a very high and long hedge which we cut using shears.

ill agree with ya abiout people having more time for gardens back then than now.
            not strong enough eh mate to use it.heh.

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
            I think people had more time and pride for their gardens back in the old days,cutting hedges with a hand shears now its done in no time with an electric trimmer.We had one of those push along mowers with a tray in the front to collect the grass in no petrol or electric mowers,it was hard going I coudnt use it.We also grew sweet peas with netting but digging the vegetable plots were hard going.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I never really had a Garden as a kid - though Grandma and granddad did. They kept it beautifully looked after - i'd help water the Plants and Apple Tree that was planted in either 1985 or 1986. Gardens was'nt my forte but they hold such special memories in other respects - almost like they were magical in a way, like i'd be - like having an afternoon cup of tea in them with neighbours often calling in and so on and having a drink of tea. Another thing I so like thinking about regards Gardening was my Grandad's Shed - yeah it was falling apart bad, but this was so magical in a way too - as it was full of differing gardening equipment and the like another amazes gardening stuff that some was at times never used for years at a time. If i'd had the chance it would of been a sort of office/retreat with plants climbing the walls and drawers with seeds in ready for the Summer, as it was regards plants too in this way. How I miss Gardens like so, though I was no good at Gardening - great days/times indeed
              Last edited by 80sChav; 24-06-2013, 17:30.

Comment

Australian Outback in the summer and Mekong Delta in the winter!

Comment

We lived in a flat but my parents owned both the upstairs and downstairs flats and my dad looked after the gardens of both. I had free run of them both too. At the back, both flats had a lawn separated by a strip of rockery. I liked to walk along the knobbly rocks without falling off. Eventually dad took the rockery out and turfed that bit over which gave me a bigger run of grass to play on. Dad's always been big on gardening so there were always lots of plants and flowers surrounding the lawns. I particularly liked the huge bushes that had bright yellow flowers and seedy things that smelled of lemons. No idea what they were but I made a den inside two of them and can still remember that heady smell. Dad also had a little green house that I loved although I was a bit scared of the spiders so didnt go in too much.

At the front the gardens were covered in that old 70's favourite, crazy paving! Again I liked to leap across the different stones. These were flat, I think made from old paving stones. One looked like the British Isles. Eventually these were turfed over. In the middle there was a little weeping willow tree and I liked to pick off the little furry catkins. Nowadays both gardens have been turned into concrete driveways
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

my childhood garden had a square lawn with flower beds at the top edged with low blue picket fencing ...........my dad made a bird house ........i loved feeding the birds and still do today........there was a large cherry tree that my dad had grown from the stone..........by the back door there was a large mint which always smelt so nice

my dad's love of gardening has definitely rubbed off on me...........i can't get enough, always pottering about amongst the shrubs.

Comment

I remember the picket fencing going round the border then grass with a pink hydrangea in the centre.Cant remember when strimmers came out my dad used to cut long grass with a sive I think it was called it looked like a large hook with a sharp blade to it with a wooden handle.

Also remember wooden ladders we did not have aluminium ones

Comment

Working...
                      X