Top 3 Favourite Consoles Ever !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 3 Favourite Consoles Ever !

As it quite clearly states above, what are your top 3 fave consoles ever ?

In no particular order I would go for -

NEC PC Engine/Turbografx.
    A phenomenal console for it's time, it came out when people were used to the NES or Sega's Master System, but NEC's console was leaps & bounds ahead.
    So many quality games, and the original tiny Japanese console is a thing of beauty.

Vectrex.
    I've gone for this because it's timeless, and there will never be anything like it again.
    With some beautiful looking and wonderfully playable games, with pure vector prettyness in your own home. Love it.

Sega Dreamcast.
    I almost went for the Saturn, but the Dreamcast gets it for the amazing selection of games.
    Remember, this was the first time that arcade ports were pretty much identical to their original version.
    Plus there are brilliant games of every genre you can think of, plus a few that i'm amazed anyone came up with.

So, what are your all time faves ?
    I would be very interested to find out your opinions ?
    Consoles only though please, save the actual computers for another thread. Handheld consoles are fine.

Re: Top 3 Favourite Consoles Ever !

Snes
    it had so many great games game after game i cant think of a console that kept churning out the goods as much as the Snes did.

Spectrum 128k
    fantastic console with built in tape deck which made a big difference as you did not need an external tape deck.
    You could also play 16k and 48k games on it if it said so in the game pak.

N64.
    another superb console which many wonderful games although not as many as the Snes.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

PS1 - a plethora of classics

Megadrive - the main console i grew up with

C64 - my first computer owned by me

Comment

C64- My first computer and spent many hours playing Out Run, Psycho Hopper, Power Drift and Ghostbusters(with Invade-a-load!)
        Sega Master System Plus. I still have it, boxed and in storage.
        PS2- The last console I bought back in 2001 and haven't really played on it much.

Comment

N64 - some brilliant fps games
          Dreamcast - truly underrated machine
          Atari VCS - there was nothing like it in the 70's

I would have put the Spectrum but I presume the thread's about consoles and not computers.

Comment

Ignoring the c64 and spectrum computers :

Atari 2600. Okay so there were some poor games (ET is famously bad, but I kinda liked it back then!). And just that excitement of being able to play actual arcade games, at home, without losing all your pocket money in the process.. Wow. The "woody" look machine was cool, too.

Playstation 2: I am not a huge fan of the current ps3/Xbox thing. The ps2 had a DVD player, good performance, and a fun, imaginative lineup of games which did not all involve blowing someone's brains out.

SNES : I never had one of these, but they always seem to feature highly with fantastic games. They still look pretty cool, too.

Comment

PS1
              My personal favourite, the PS1 had such a fantastic library of titles, there really was something for everyone. From Final Fantasy VII-IX, Resident Evil 1-3, Parappa The Rapper, Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, The Tomb Raider series, Soul Blade, Tekken 1-3 and the Crash Bandicoot games. The console just broke so much ground and it was the one me and my mates all had as kids, what an amazing time for games. The PS1 ere was my favourite for gaming but there was also another contender at this time.......

N64
              Again, what an amazing library this console had. It couldn't offer full motion video or crisp sound like Sony's grey box but most of the games were golden. Who could forget 4-player Mario Kart madness or the sheer fun of Goldeneye. Not to mention the awesome WWF/WCW games which haven't been bettered since and then the legendary single-player experience that is Ocarina of Time. Don't forget the comfy N64 controllers too, still one of the best. I'll never forget when my mate traded in his first N64 during summer 1998 and the way his face dropped as I reminded him that he would be missing out on Ocarina of Time that winter. Needless to say by the time Christmas 1998 rolled round he was an N64 guy again.

Dreamcast
              This was an amazing console at the time and to this day I can't believe how short a life it ended up having. I remember its release and there was this feeling od it being the future of gaming, the games looked incredible and so many people appeared to be jumping on the Sega bandwagon again. Simple games like Ready 2 Rumble Boxing and Power Stone showed how fun games could really be while future arrivals like Sonic Adventure, Sega Rally and the legendary Soul Calibur raised the bar. How did this console not do better? I have great memories of the Dreamcast days though.

Comment

Originally posted by DemonEyeX View Post
                Consoles only though please, save the actual computers for another thread. Handheld consoles are fine.
                Originally posted by darren View Post
                Spectrum 128k
                Originally posted by Moondog View Post
                C64
                Originally posted by Powdered toast man View Post
                C64
                I appreciate the input guys, but this particular thread is consoles only.
                Make another selection, if you don't mind.
                Cheers.

All very interesting choices so far, N64, Dreamcast & SNES are looking to be the most popular at the moment.

Comment

my fav 3 would be
                  Spectrum128k with its combined tape deck ( i still have mine complete with cassettes)
                  Sega Master system - this was great. it was so simple too with the cartridges
                  PS1 - the graphics were really great at the time.
                  by the way i still have all the above including games. All in working order!!

Comment

Originally posted by DemonEyeX View Post
                    Originally posted by barry21 View Post
                    Spectrum128k with its combined tape deck ( i still have mine complete with cassettes)
                    I appreciate the input Barry, but that's not a console.
                    Pick again

Comment

sorry about that.
                      how about the sega mega drive which i still have.

Comment

Originally posted by barry21 View Post
                        how about the sega mega drive which i still have.
                        Good choice Barry, I love my Megadrives (I have several) plus the Mega CD & 32X.
                        Masses of great games, and gorgeous artwork on the Japanese games. Although the UK & US covers were horrible.
                        It didn't make my top 3, but it's probably my most played console of all time.

Comment

Thank you DemonEyeX
                          I do have the mega cd add-on. I do think the mega drive cartridge system was a great concept. I like playing road rash that is a great game.
                          I guess i have about 30 or 40 games for the Mega-driveand about the same for the Master system.

Comment

Sega Master System (Excellent collection of games)
                            Sega Mega Drive (Ditto)
                            Sega Dreamcast (Very Underrated)

Never got on with the Nintendo's, except the Gameboys

Comment

The Dreamcast was amazing. Although I'm not really a fan of SEGA, I'm really bitter that the PS2 basically ruined the Dreamcast because of the hype it had. A lot of my favourite games stem from the Dreamcast.

Comment

Working...
                              X