No announcement yet.

Best Computer Game..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack the Nipper 2 on the Speccy, never did finish that, the Monty Moles, the Dizzy Egg games on the Speccy, or Pac Man on the ancient Atari.

Comment

The best computer game of all time is a toss-up between Elite (BBC/C64 version) and Knight Lore(ZX Speccy).
      Knight Lore was the 1st game to use proper three-dimensional graphics.
      The company name was Ultimate and they brought out other classics like Sabre Wulf, Alien 8, Underwurlde, Lunar Jetman, Jetpac.
      They then went on to make video games for the Japanese market and also wrote Goldeneye for the N64.
      They also revealed, years later, that they held back Knight Lore because the market wasn't ready for it and it was completed BEFORE Sabre Wulf which had come out about 18 months before.
      It was an amazing game when it came out but if they had brought it out before Sabre Wulf, it would have defied belief.
      Ultimate WERE the ultimate!
      Here is a link to the Crash (Great compy mag of its time) review:-
      http://www.crashonline.org.uk/12/knghtlr.htm
      Last edited by sadken; 30-10-2006, 21:41.

Comment

They're called Rare now and Micro$oft have tied them into a contract to produce games exclusively for the X-box

Underworlde was my fave of their back catalogue, KnightLore/Alien8 a bit fiddly, they were streets ahead in terms of speccy games

Comment

Originally posted by Eighties Kid
          They're called Rare now and Micro$oft have tied them into a contract to produce games exclusively for the X-box

Underworlde was my fave of their back catalogue, KnightLore/Alien8 a bit fiddly, they were streets ahead in terms of speccy games
          Underwurlde was by far the hardest and most fiddly of the Sabreman trilogy!
          Alien 8 and Knight Lore were simple to control with a Kempston Joystick whilst using the 'directional control' option.

Comment

Ah, never had a joystick for my speccy, I just liked the total chaos of underwurlde, a certain quantity of luck was involved though you are right about that!

Comment

And the joy of the speccy was the tapes, especially the freebie games too, and how many times you'd think you'd loaded a game when you hadn't, oh the pain, and the dreadful noise as you loaded a game too, kids today don't know what they've missed.

Comment

the relief when a 'dodgy' tape of a game you REALLY want to play finally loaded on the 16th attempt
                made it all worthwhile!

Comment

I used to bring in a multiple amount sound systems to get that tape that wouldnt play to work. Id be there till 4 in the morning finely tuning the graphic equalizers to load a game, then be tooo tired to play it when i found the right volume. Those were the days.
                  Elite was my favorite game, What was the name of the other game that was similar, made by the same production team?

Comment

Thanks SADKEN for reminding me about crash magazine, it was great to see Underworlde, i couldnt remember it, but do remember FAIRLIGHT .
                    It looks similar.

Comment

Originally posted by CARROLLKRC
                      I used to bring in a multiple amount sound systems to get that tape that wouldnt play to work. Id be there till 4 in the morning finely tuning the graphic equalizers to load a game, then be tooo tired to play it when i found the right volume. Those were the days.
                      Elite was my favorite game, What was the name of the other game that was similar, made by the same production team?
                      Was it starbird????

Comment

Starbird was that like, erm Galaxian, or Firebird, a space shoot em up?

Comment

Originally posted by CARROLLKRC
                          Thanks SADKEN for reminding me about crash magazine, it was great to see Underworlde, i couldnt remember it, but do remember FAIRLIGHT .
                          It looks similar.
                          Knight Lore was the 1st game of the 3d perspective.
                          It paved the way for games like Fairlight.
                          A big fuss was made about Fairlight at the time but it was just too hard/fiddly compared to KL.
                          Knight Lore was far smoother and playabale, probably THE greatest of games that I have played to date.

Comment

Originally posted by Oggy
                            Starbird was that like, erm Galaxian, or Firebird, a space shoot em up?
                            Starbird was a 3d line graphic game, like star wars in the arcade in 80s, but was a vast game , not so much a shot em up type though, some help me remember,

I do remember elite, like starbird, all line graphic, B/W. I had a cheat where you could stay in mid hyperspace killing pirates for rare goods and narcotics.
                            Elite if i remember, was a game where you were like a market trader in space with a ship you could do up and make into a super fighter.
                            You started off with low rating, **** weapons, and little credit and you had to fly to many planets( there were loads, i think there were 8 galaxys and each had 200 odd planets in each) and buy/ sell goods. it helped if you learnt to fly and defend yourself early on to boost your rating and profit. Also going to anarchic planets and selling drugs was a good way to move up in the world quicker.

god, i want to play it now, i bet if it was out now with the graphics on computers now it would be awesome. a definate divorce issue!!

Comment

Don't think you can really beat Pac Man was one, and probs my all time favorite, though Roadblasters seemed kool at the time, a sit down, and shoot cars off the road was kool to me, then you looked at Asteroids, **** really now though.

Comment

Hi all!!!

This is really difficult...have to do it by system...

Atari 2600 - Pitfall,frogger,battlezone,enduro,adventure,choppe r command,frostbite,yars revenge,asteroids,star raiders

Colecovision - Zaxxon,Donkey Kong, The Smurfs - Gargamels Castle, Mr.Do, Carnival, Gorf, Time Pilot, Mr.Dos Castle, Jungle Hunt, Burger time

C64 - the edilon,chuckie Egg,who dares wins2,bomb jack,uridium,paradroid,encounter,winter games,space pilot,mission AD

Spectrum - Jet Set Willy, Green Beret, Atic Attack, Star Quake, Jetpac, Fred, trans am, thrust, lazy jones, alien highway

BBC - Planetoids, Snake, Jetpac, Frak, Meteor, Ghouls, Yie Ar King Fu, Bruce lee, Chuckie egg, Panic Planet

Master System - Operation Wolf, Gauntlet, Bubble Bobble, Wonder Boy, Afterburner, Hang On, Astro blaster, mickey mouse, Double hawk, Chase HQ

Megadrive - Toe Jam and Earl, Golden Axe, Mercs, Super Hang On, Sword of Vermillion, Phantasy Star3, Altered Beast, Afterburner 2, Streets of Rage 2, Sonic

Arcade - Gorf, Jackal, Galaxians, Scramble, Pac Man, Mr.do, Donkey Kong, Commando, Pang 3, Phoenix

Atari ST - Blood money, double dragon, operation wolf, carrrier command, Dungeon master, scars, Team Yankee, Knights of the Sky, Turbo Outrun, Roadblasters

Commodore Amiga - Another world, flashback, Arkanoid Revenge of Doh, Cannon Fodder, Gloom, Lemmings, Night Breed, Pinball Dreams, Pinball Illusions,Pinball Fantasies

Sega Saturn - Tomb Raider, Die Hard Arcade, Sega Ages, Quake, Daytona, Sega Rally champ, Virtua Racing, Panzer Dragoon, X Men Children Of the Atom, Virtua Fighter 2

Sega Dreamcast - Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur, Sega Rally 2, Unreal tournamant, Quake 3, Rez, Sonic Adventure, Virtua cop2, house of the dead 2, Shenmue

Ps1 - Wipeout, quake 2, fighting force, tomb raider, panzer front, Ridge racer, Medal of honor, true pinball, parappa the rapper, Doom

Ps2 - Burnout 3, need for speed underground 2 , call of duty 3, medal of honor frontline, killzone, black, battlefield 2, conflict desert storm 2, grand theft auto Vice city soulcalibur 2

Pc - Battlefield 1942, call of duty 2, medal of honour series, hidden and dangerous 2, Mame arcade emulator, soldier of fortune, Sniper Elite, Panzer elite Action, Sky Aces, Half Life 2

This selection is only in my humble opinion of course!! these are my fav games from each gaming system over the years..;0)

all the best...

Rab ;0)

Fife
                                Scotland
                                Last edited by OrangeCremolaFoam; 05-12-2006, 22:07.

Comment

Working...
                                X