Slices of Luncheon Meat From The Butcher's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slices of Luncheon Meat From The Butcher's

I have fond memories of buying a quarter of luncheon meat - sometimes referred to as "Prem" - from the butcher on the market, and muncing on the delicious round slices of meat whilst walking around the stalls. Lovely!

But can somebody please tell me why the luncheon meat from the butchers is no longer as nice and fresh and soft as it used to be in those days?
    Wirral Writer
    www.alantoner.com

Re: Slices of Luncheon Meat From The Butcher's

Used to buy it from the corner shop whenever I had the munches, must have loved it at the time but has I've been vegi for the past twenty five years I couldn't tell you if how or why its changed.

Comment

I'd forgotten all about luncheon meat until I read this thread!.......I can remember the taste of it right now mmmmmmmmmmm

I haven't had any for years so I can't say why it might have changed.

Comment

What I had the other week seemed to be very gritty.All depends on where you buy I suppose.
        I used to like it more as a kid.But then many supermarkets even sold it through an in shop butcher and not pre packed on shelf.Most was sliced in store from a big lump of the stuff in front of you whilst some stores had a nice display of various sliced meats behind glass.I used to love watching the shop keeper cut the meat with the slicing machine.These days it's all too easy to pick up a pack of sliced cold meat.Just me being lazy in my old age.

Comment

Originally posted by themilkman View Post
          I'd forgotten all about luncheon meat until I read this thread!.......I can remember the taste of it right now mmmmmmmmmmm

I haven't had any for years so I can't say why it might have changed.
          Me too loved luncheon meat looks like I will have to have a look for some yum

Comment

Great to hear from other lovers of luncheon meat - or "prem", as my family and I used to call it. Very sad though that it's not as nice as it used to be. As I say, when I used to buy it as a kid, it was lovely and pink and soft, but now it's either dissuadingly discoloured or its taste is like rubber - sometimes both. Why don't they make NICE luncheon meat anymore? Is it to do with poor farming, favourtism towards cheap meat, or what? I'd really like to know.

By the way, I used to love having luncheon meat with mash and beans too. MMM, lovely!
            Wirral Writer
            www.alantoner.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wirral Writer View Post
              Great to hear from other lovers of luncheon meat - or "prem", as my family and I used to call it. Very sad though that it's not as nice as it used to be. As I say, when I used to buy it as a kid, it was lovely and pink and soft, but now it's either dissuadingly discoloured or its taste is like rubber - sometimes both. Why don't they make NICE luncheon meat anymore? Is it to do with poor farming, favourtism towards cheap meat, or what? I'd really like to know.

By the way, I used to love having luncheon meat with mash and beans too. MMM, lovely!
              Probably a lot less fat in it now that would account for it being tougher.

Comment

Even 30 years ago My Mum was reluctant to buy luncheon meat due to the fat content.

We used to occasionally have corn beef or potted beef, but she stopped buying those sometime in the mid 1990s.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by sweep View Post
                  Probably a lot less fat in it now that would account for it being tougher.
                  So it was the FAT content that made it so nice? And they've taken it out?

Interfering busybodies! Why can't they leave our food alone? They are making it ****. They are doing the same with the chocolate biscuits too, reducing the milk content. It's all bloody dark chocolate now. UGH!
                  Wirral Writer
                  www.alantoner.com

Comment

Yep wish the government busybodies would keep there noses out and let people make there own decisions.

Comment

Kennedys used to do a lovely Breakfast sausage

Comment

Originally posted by Wirral Writer View Post

Im sure we had above for school lunch sometime

Comment

I keep seeing this thread, and it's pushing me in a bad direction.
                          I haven't eaten any processed meat products for a long time, but I keep thinking about how much I used to love luncheon meat.
                          I used to get it from a corner shop which is now a launderette, and yes, the guy used to cut it on the main counter after handling money & suchlike without washing his hands.
                          It didn't seem to matter back then, but there's no way you could get away with that these days.

Anyway, I've read how some of you say that it doesn't taste the same these days.
                          What do I do ? Is it worth me breaking my "no processed meat" diet, or will I just be disapointed with it and therefore angry at myself ?
                          Opinions >>>>>>>

Comment

Originally posted by DemonEyeX View Post
                            I keep seeing this thread, and it's pushing me in a bad direction.
                            I haven't eaten any processed meat products for a long time, but I keep thinking about how much I used to love luncheon meat.
                            I used to get it from a corner shop which is now a launderette, and yes, the guy used to cut it on the main counter after handling money & suchlike without washing his hands.
                            It didn't seem to matter back then, but there's no way you could get away with that these days.

Anyway, I've read how some of you say that it doesn't taste the same these days.
                            What do I do ? Is it worth me breaking my "no processed meat" diet, or will I just be disapointed with it and therefore angry at myself ?
                            Opinions >>>>>>>
                            Don't think the urge will leave you until its been sated.

Comment

Originally posted by sweep View Post
                              Don't think the urge will leave you until its been sated.
                              I think you're right there Sweep,
                              I Almost bought some today, I gave it a curious glance through the deli perspex, but the cuts looked dried up in the heat, so I decided to refrain for today.
                              Tomorrow however...........................

Comment

Working...
                              X