You Lasting Memory of 1976

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Lasting Memory of 1976

What is your lasting memory of 1976, the year of THAT seemingly incessant summer?

Mine is ABBA. They had three No One hits that year.
    Wirral Writer
    www.alantoner.com

Re: You Lasting Memory of 1976

that year holds a terrible memory for me.......i found a bassett hound sat in the hot sunshine that had clearly been in a fight of some kind........it's mouth was ripped at the side and apart from the blood, it was obviously suffering from the extreme heat because of it's heavy panting.......i remember being very upset as in those days no one in the married quarters on the estate had their own phone and i desperately wanted someone to help......i think someone went to the phone box in the end to phone the police for their help.

Comment

Went on holiday to the Isle of Wight for two weeks. First day there fell off a stile and put a large nail through my elbow, so week one with arm in sling (and still have the scar!). Following Saturday, bitten by a horse fly on the back of my hand which swelled so much I couldn't bend my fingers for the whole of the following week. Oh yes, I remember 1976.

Comment

Originally posted by shilton dipper View Post
        that year holds a terrible memory for me.......i found a bassett hound sat in the hot sunshine that had clearly been in a fight of some kind........it's mouth was ripped at the side and apart from the blood, it was obviously suffering from the extreme heat because of it's heavy panting.......i remember being very upset as in those days no one in the married quarters on the estate had their own phone and i desperately wanted someone to help......i think someone went to the phone box in the end to phone the police for their help.
        Terrible. Did it survive?.

Comment

The only thing I seem to remember was that bloody awful summer, and being told our terrace house was going to be demolished.

Comment

One of my best years at school for some reason.

Comment

The 1976 summer olympics and watching it with dad on TV.Apart from that it was the intense heat of the summer,the rivers drying out and the crispy under foot grass.Pretty sure it also forced up the price of potatoes as well the year after and a bag of chips went from 2 and a half pence to 10pence overnight.That was a sharp rise of 7 half pence a bag of chips...it's shocking.

Comment

Long hot summer started in May dont think we had rain until begining of oct,drought, disco songs Abba Mania,
                Chicagos song If you leave me now

Comment

Ah yes, I remember all those things well, esp ABBA mania. I thought Agentha was the most gorgeous thing on two legs, as did thousands of other male ABBA fans!
                  Wirral Writer
                  www.alantoner.com

Comment

Originally posted by ayrshireman View Post
                    Terrible. Did it survive?.
                    i don't know ..........all i know is the dog sat in the same plce for hours, well into the evening.........it's awful to think that thats the only memory triggered when i hear 1976 mentioned........everything else just fades into insignificance

Comment

The days when I had long straight hair until I had it cut short in 1977

Comment

1976 was the year my granddad died.

Comment

seems like 1976 was actually not the best of years for several people on here

Comment

We had a cold winter to follow with plenty of snow

Comment

My 21st

Comment

Working...
                              X