Philips is leaving the consumer electronics industry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philips is leaving the consumer electronics industry

For those who are fans of the electronic company Philips, I just read that a few months ago they are pulling out of the mass consumer electronics market and focusing on lighting and medical equipment only.

Philips has been one of the most famous and innovative companies to come out of the 20th Century. They made the first cassette tapes, the first cassette recorder, the first boom box ghetto blaster, the first CD-player, and popularised electric shavers with their Philishave brand. They were also one of the first companies to make video players in the 60's as well as video-cds a few years before interactive CDs became the rage. Plus who can forget the Philips Digital Compact Cassette vs Sony's MiniDiscs war?

I have a number of Philips products in my nostalgia collection at home such as:

Philips Box Flash 6x6 620 format camera (from 1950)
    Philips EL 3301 cassette recorder (from 1964)
    Philips HDD 60 Micro Audio Jukebox (an MP3/WMA player trying to compete with the iPod)
    Philips flashgun
    Philips Fizz mobile phones
    Philips Nino 500 PDA

Also want to get a Philips EL 3515 tape recorder (reel to reel), Moving Sound walkman (the white one with the jungle stripes and pink stop button), and CD-100 CD player

See http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414820,00.asp for more on the story

Re: Philips is leaving the consumer electronics industry

quite sad this as there stuff was always top notch.
    some gereat bits you have there mate.

should be quite easy to get any bits you want like the one you mention.

i remember us having a philips VCR.

This company may be forgotten by some but for those who had stuff of theirs this giant wont be forgotten.

well at least its not gone bankrupt itys being sold off for 200 million not bad.
    Last edited by darren; 16-07-2013, 15:53.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

My parents met working at Philips

Comment

i should think that most people at some point would have had something made by philips in their home.......i was quite shocked to read the opening post on this thread

Comment

This is surprising news, I have a few Philips items, like a TV, DVD Recorder, shaver, & MP3 player.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
            My parents met working at Philips
            How romantic

Sign of the times companies going after a long time, sad though Remember having a philips tv when I was a kid.

Comment

I was told about this a couple of years ago. Personally, i did not think much of them.I had 2 of their vcrs and 2 of their dvd recorders and all had a lot of prorblems.I would never buy another Philips machine.

Comment

Working...
              X