Things you never could have predicted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things you never could have predicted

Prices- I have a projector and 5.1 surround sound system in my home cinema room, along with the screen the wholw room has cost under £2000 to put together. I remember seeing some big media person on the TV back in 93 when I worked in the cinema who had a similar setup that had cost him £100,000. Similarly when I worked in Tandy in 95 we had the Motorola Star Tac phones at £649 plus £40 per month- now a PAYG mobile can be had for £10!
    I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

My car had a built in satnav that the orignal owner had as an extra costing £600 in 2001.

These days you can pay about £80 for a portable satnav with much more features.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

That you hardly ever see or hear children play out or dogs roaming the street.....if someone had told me in the 70s that would happen in the future I would of said, Get Stuffed!

Comment

very true i agree.

another well here certainly is you rarely or ever hear ice cream vans about and kids playing footie in the streets.
          thungs have changed for rthe worse since i was a kid in the seventies eighties.

Originally posted by Romany Jones. View Post
          That you hardly ever see or hear children play out or dogs roaming the street.....if someone had told me in the 70s that would happen in the future I would of said, Get Stuffed!
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

There's still ice creams near me & my parents.

Where my parents live & where I grew up there's still children playing in the streets.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
              very true i agree.

another well here certainly is you rarely or ever hear ice cream vans about and kids playing footie in the streets.
              thungs have changed for rthe worse since i was a kid in the seventies eighties.
              Occasionally we do have an Ice cream van. I don't see anyone playing footie outside they probably have indoor places now.
              Remember kids knocking on your parents front door "Is so and so playing out?".......you'd think nothing of it and off you would go for about 5 or 6 hours. And if you we're lucky to have a dog he'd come with you too.

Comment

would never have predicted the fact that neighbours never really bother with each other now there is not same sense of community between them people seem to be less friendly now than back in the seventies eighties seems that way where iam ive noticed big changes over thirty odd yrs.

Comment

would never have predicted the fact that neighbours never really bother with each other now there is not same sense of community between them people seem to be less friendly now than back in the seventies eighties seems that way where iam ive noticed big changes over thirty odd yrs.
                  Some folk dont even know their neighbours sad really

Remember the days when we borrowed or lent next door a bowl of sugar tea etc,had a chat over the fence,went in for a drink at christmas asked them back on boxing day.Now when we see next door its hello goodbye no invites in for a chat

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                    This comedy bit from 1957 also comes to mind. And if Mr Tweedley's voice sounds familiar it's the voice of Daws Butler who did many of the voices in the Hanna Barbera cartoons.
                    That gave me a great chuckle to start the morning, but it's quite depressing to think that what was a comedy piece back then contains things which some of lunatic fringe now actually take seriously. Except they take it to even more ridiculous extremes: I remember I got blasted by some loonie-leftie a few years ago for referring to a "disabled person," which I was told in no uncertain terms carries negative connotations. The "PC" term is, I was told, "person with a disability." Say what?! If you have some sort of disability then you're disabled in some way, so what's the difference?

It's this sort of nonsense which, I believe, is deliberate: Arbitrarily declare some innocuous term to be offensive, then keep changing the "accepted" term for something every couple of years so that nobody can possibly keep up with it all (even if he wanted to). Then they can just keep pointing the finger and shouting "Witch!" every time somebody just uses the normal English language he grew up with.

Comment

Sad but true, although at least where I live in rural Norfolk it's still pretty relaxed and friendly. I see my next-door neighbours to speak to most days, I'm often round there for tea (usually sorting out a computer problem), and we do the usual helping out with picking up bread, milk etc. if one of us is going into town. I can't imagine living in the sort of place where people are there for years and never even know their neighbours' names.

Originally posted by victorbrunswick
                      As a bookdealer I would have never imagined that the bottom would ever drop out of the print book market, after all, they had been around for centuries. Much of it because of the competition from technology such iPads, Amazon Kindle, etc. Personally, I can't abide the things. I still prefer real books over ebooks.
                      I'm the same. My library is mostly older technical books, but having an actual printed book beats trying to work from a screen for me. Certainly I've benefited greatly in more recent years from people who have scanned certain hard-to-find material to make it available in PDF form, and it's allowed me to obtain some reference materials which would otherwise have been very difficult and expensive to acquire. But whether it's a couple of pages of schematic diagrams or a 500-page reference manual, I still like to print it out so it can go in a suitable binder on the shelf.

Comment

Young male and females with large tatoos especially on their arms,working in shops dont like them you can call me old fashioned but I think they are horrible to look at.If you have them then cover up.Seen this at Tescos Lidl

Comment

oh i must agree with you on this.

i know a fella who has his entire face covered in tattoos and most of the rest of his body covered in them.

another is the influx of people from overseas coming here mostly from europe but some from africa as well etc.

its more the sheer amount of them.

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                          Young male and females with large tatoos especially on their arms,working in shops dont like them you can call me old fashioned but I think they are horrible to look at.If you have them then cover up.Seen this at Tescos Lidl

Comment

i think we would never be talking about the past on one off the best forums in the world who would off thought back in the 70s 80s that now we would be posting on the internet bout our self wha we did and what we had lol
                            THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

It sometimes works the other way round. If someone had told me in the 70's that we still wouldn't have had bases on the moon and travelled to Mars by 2013, I wouldn't have believed them. On the flipside though, I wouldn't have believed that remote landers and rovers would be so sophisticated that they actually they make going to another planet fairly redundant.

Comment

Originally posted by PC66 View Post
                                I'm the same. My library is mostly older technical books, but having an actual printed book beats trying to work from a screen for me. Certainly I've benefited greatly in more recent years from people who have scanned certain hard-to-find material to make it available in PDF form, and it's allowed me to obtain some reference materials which would otherwise have been very difficult and expensive to acquire. But whether it's a couple of pages of schematic diagrams or a 500-page reference manual, I still like to print it out so it can go in a suitable binder on the shelf.
                                One of the things I collect are old technical books, particularly ones published before WWII. I might also add that some of the best technical books were the ones published in the UK.

Comment

Working...
                                X