Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things you never could have predicted

Originally posted by PC66 View Post
    That gave me a great chuckle to start the morning, but it's quite depressing to think that what was a comedy piece back then contains things which some of lunatic fringe now actually take seriously. Except they take it to even more ridiculous extremes: I remember I got blasted by some loonie-leftie a few years ago for referring to a "disabled person," which I was told in no uncertain terms carries negative connotations. The "PC" term is, I was told, "person with a disability." Say what?! If you have some sort of disability then you're disabled in some way, so what's the difference?

It's this sort of nonsense which, I believe, is deliberate: Arbitrarily declare some innocuous term to be offensive, then keep changing the "accepted" term for something every couple of years so that nobody can possibly keep up with it all (even if he wanted to). Then they can just keep pointing the finger and shouting "Witch!" every time somebody just uses the normal English language he grew up with.
    That is strange that now somebody gets offended over two words placed back to front. The PC term that makes me laugh is that now a gay person is an "LGBT" (Lesbian-Gay-Bisexual-Transgender). To me it sounds like either a garden railway train or something you would order for lunch: "I'll have an LGBT with extra bacon, fries and a chocolate shake."
    Last edited by victorbrunswick; 14-08-2013, 03:28.

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
      That is strange that now somebody gets offended over two words placed back to front. The PC term that makes me laugh is that now a gay person is an "LGBT" (Lesbian-Gay-Bisexual-Transgender). To me it sounds like either a garden railway train or something you would order for lunch: "I'll have an LGBT with extra bacon, fries and a chocolate shake."
      Gay marriages all in the open now, going back it was hush hush you wouldnt have seen gays walking down the street holding hands,programmes on tv 2 gay people buying a house together

Comment

One of the things I collect are old technical books, particularly ones published before WWII. I might also add that some of the best technical books were the ones published in the UK.
        The quality of technical books published by Pitman et al used to be very good. It's sad that we don't seem to have publishers maintaining that same standard today.

Comment

The quality of technical books published by Pitman et al used to be very good. It's sad that we don't seem to have publishers maintaining that same standard today.
          My favourite publisher was Model & Allied Publications (MAP), particularly their books on model engineering.

Comment

The PC term that makes me laugh is that now a gay person is an "LGBT" (Lesbian-Gay-Bisexual-Transgender). To me it sounds like either a garden railway train or something you would order for lunch: "I'll have an LGBT with extra bacon, fries and a chocolate shake."
            And who would have predicted that today we'd have this sort of "PC" nonsense being rammed down our throats at every opportunity? (Just one example out of many.)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...elie-bins.html

Comment

And who would have predicted that today we'd have this sort of "PC" nonsense being rammed down our throats at every opportunity? (Just one example out of many.)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...elie-bins.html
              Though most of the time it's the right wing press blowing things out of all reportion.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                Though most of the time it's the right wing press blowing things out of all reportion.
                I'm not sure about that, where I work we constantly preached "diversity" and have jobs created for it. Not to mention all the phobias, isms and ists that exist everywhere today, which generate from left leaning media, read the Guardian/Independent or watch C4 news it's all quite rife.
                The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
                  I'm not sure about that, where I work we constantly preached "diversity" and have jobs created for it. Not to mention all the phobias, isms and ists that exist everywhere today, which generate from left leaning media, read the Guardian/Independent or watch C4 news it's all quite rife.
                  I'm the sort of person who has benefitted from that kind of thinking, I could easily still be living with my parents & claiming benefits, claiming I couldn't work.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Lol it's true. The terms get longer and longer. I'm pretty sure that one will soon become LGBTASEOTS (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Asexual or Somewhere Else On The Spectrum). I work in an environment where people are ridiculously PC and get right on their high horse if you don't say the latest term. I once got into trouble for calling school kids 'children' instead of 'young people'. Sheesh!
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                      I once got into trouble for calling school kids 'children' instead of 'young people'. Sheesh!
                      Just when you think the lunacy can't get much worse.....

Comment

It's this sort of nonsense which, I believe, is deliberate: Arbitrarily declare some innocuous term to be offensive, then keep changing the "accepted" term for something every couple of years so that nobody can possibly keep up with it all (even if he wanted to). Then they can just keep pointing the finger and shouting "Witch!" every time somebody just uses the normal English language he grew up with.
                        That's the problem. The rules keep changing, often in midgame, that you never even get a chance to learn the old rules.

Comment

Health and safety conscious I read how much money has been paid out to pupils who have a fall in school etc.One instance a boy went into a goal posts had a small pay out for that, a child was pushed into a window and got £10,000 compensation.There was no sueing when I was in school if you had a fall you just put up with it

Comment

That the daughter of one of my high school teachers would end up teaching me burlesque! Did not know she was his daughter until a couple of weeks ago. I remember him going on paternity leave when she was born!
                            Last edited by Trickyvee; 02-04-2014, 19:21.
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                              Lol it's true. The terms get longer and longer. I'm pretty sure that one will soon become LGBTASEOTS (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Asexual or Somewhere Else On The Spectrum). I work in an environment where people are ridiculously PC and get right on their high horse if you don't say the latest term. I once got into trouble for calling school kids 'children' instead of 'young people'. Sheesh!
                              I'm a lesbian myself and I can't remember all the acronyms, I think the current one is QUILTBAG ...

I wouldn't have ever thought self-employment would be as widespread as it is now, when I was a kid the only self-employed people I knew were tradesmen and now so many of my circle have become contractors in different fields

Comment

I never thought the VCR would be so short-lived.
                                "Even nostalgia is not what it used to be"

Comment

Working...
                                X