X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• britains disasters what you remember

Kegworth air disaster

in 1992
    A Boeing 737 airplane has crashed onto the M1 motorway near East Midlands airport, killing 46 people.
    Eighty have survived, of whom ten are seriously injured.
    The British Midland flight 092 was forced to crash land after both engines of the brand new aircraft failed.
    It slammed into the motorway embankment at 2026 GMT, breaking into three pieces.
    Motorists on the M1 had a lucky escape as there were no vehicles in the immediate vicinity at the moment of impact.

Hillsborough disaster

On 15 April 1989, at the start of an FA Cup semi-final, a crush on the steel-fenced terraces of Sheffield Wednesday's stadium resulted in the death of 96 Liverpool fans and left hundreds more injured.
    The inquiry into the disaster, led by Lord Justice Taylor, established the main cause as a failure of police crowd control.
    Events began to unfold from around 14:30 BST. The game was to be a repeat of the 1988 semi-final, in which Liverpool had faced Nottingham Forest at the same venue.
    Liverpool fans had begun arriving at the ground from midday, but had to enter their designated stand at Leppings Lane through a small number of decrepit turnstiles.
    Once inside, many made their way on to the terraced lower stand which was ringed with blue-painted steel fences and laterally divided into "pens".

On 16 December 1991, the Fun House Blackpool
    attraction (first opened in 1934) was completely destroyed by a fire caused by vandals. Valhalla (opened in 2000) was built in its place.

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Re: britains disasters what you remember

The Moorgate Underground crash, February 1975. They never did really establish beyond doubt what caused it.

Comment

The last few Eurovision Song Contest entries.....total disasters.

Comment

Aberfan near Merthyr Tydfil South Wales 21st oct 1966 coal tip landslide turned into flurry came down the mountain into the classroom killing 116 children 28 adults

Comment

March 1987: Townsend Thoresen ferry disaster at Zeebrugge (the ferry was on its way to Dover - so surely this counts).
          July 1988: Piper Alpha disaster.
          December 1988: Clapham Junction rail crash, Pan-Am air crash over Lockerbie.
          I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

In December 1988 there was also a big earthquake in Armenia.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

October 1989: The Loma Prieta earthquake which hit the San Francisco - Oakland Bay area.

Comment

Last flight of concorde remember watching it land for the last time

Comment

Pretty well every one since the dreadful Summerland fire on the Isle of Mann on 3rd August 1973, killing 51 people and injuring hundreds more- we were staying on the island at the time and due to visit the place a couple of days later. I was 4 years old at the time, I still shudder and get the chills whenever I hear or read about it. And I recall every British disaster that has happened since then.
                  I was born in '69, and although the Ibrox Stadium disaster and Bloody Sunday occurred in my lifetime, I can't say that I remember them- I was too little.

Comment

12th December 1966. A personal disaster.

Comment

what was that then shado66

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

Originally posted by onthebusesfan View Post
                        Kegworth air disaster

in 1992
                        A Boeing 737 airplane has crashed onto the M1 motorway near East Midlands airport, killing 46 people.
                        Eighty have survived, of whom ten are seriously injured.
                        The British Midland flight 092 was forced to crash land after both engines of the brand new aircraft failed.
                        It slammed into the motorway embankment at 2026 GMT, breaking into three pieces.
                        Motorists on the M1 had a lucky escape as there were no vehicles in the immediate vicinity at the moment of impact.
                        This happened in 1989 not 1992

Comment

22 August 1985, British Airtours Flight 28M (Boeing 737), Manchester Airport.

54 people died after the plane, bound for Corfu, caught fire on Runway 24.

I remember it being reported on BBC Breakast Time on the morning it happened, and later that day seeing footage from the disaster.

Comment

lockerbie plane crash.
                            piper alpha oil rig falling into the sea

not good with dates.

hillsborough disaster

was watching it at the time on tv.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                              lockerbie plane crash.
                              piper alpha oil rig falling into the sea

not good with dates.

hillsborough disaster

was watching it at the time on tv.
                              I remember all of them happening, Piper Alpha caught fire first IIRC.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                              X