Toy value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toy value

I despise shows like "Pawn Stars," "American Pickers" and similar ones not only because it's so fake but because it also gives people the wrong idea about the value of things. Now everybody thinks they're sitting on a gold mine because they "saw it on 'Pawn Stars.' Sadly I know quite a few collectors who should know better but are big fans of those shows.

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
      I despise shows like "Pawn Stars," "American Pickers" and similar ones not only because it's so fake but because it also gives people the wrong idea about the value of things. Now everybody thinks they're sitting on a gold mine because they "saw it on 'Pawn Stars.' Sadly I know quite a few collectors who should know better but are big fans of those shows.
      Is American Pickers having a new series if so will it be on freeview channels,liked that programme Uk version is salvage hunters

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
        Never seen the two mentioned. I watch Storage Hunters though and there have been things that they've found, including toys, that I wouldn't have thought are worth what they've said. Then again, values do vary between countries and there are certain items that would sell over there that wouldn't sell here. As above, items are worth what someone is willing to pay and they generally seem to seek out the right people to sell to. For Storage Hunters it is their job and it would make sense that they gain connections. Most wouldn't get such a great price.

Obviously parts of them types of shows are faked (or in some cases, the whole show faked) and they are for entertainment.

Shows like Cash in the Attic don't help much either. The people they go to always have loads of quality items that will sell for a nice sum in auction. Most people probably don't have that much, if anything, but it makes them question every item they own and wonder what what would found if they went on the show.

It's not good if people believe all them shows are completely real and they're buying to keep in hope of being rich or whatever. However, is it a bad thing if people check out the value of their items? Obviously many may be disappointed, but isn't it better to know? If they do have anything of even small value it means they're getting more than they might have done had they assumed it was worthless (which they would have before such shows existed). With so many in debt and sites like ebay more popular than ever now is a good time to sell and try and get as much as possible for items.

Comment

I don't know if you're (Or anyone else) is still looking for valuations but this is what I do for a living...
          Established for over 15 years now (even though I'm 35) and it's my real world job, not a hobby...

With regards to the TV Shows, they wouldn't be fun if it was real world and the viewer didn't have a bit of a smugness when they see the "client" disappointed...

"Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?"
          - Vintage and Collectable Toy and Juvenilia

Comment

Originally posted by Yesterplays View Post
            I don't know if you're (Or anyone else) is still looking for valuations but this is what I do for a living...
            Established for over 15 years now (even though I'm 35) and it's my real world job, not a hobby...

With regards to the TV Shows, they wouldn't be fun if it was real world and the viewer didn't have a bit of a smugness when they see the "client" disappointed...

I am still looking for valuations. Basically for the things I've mentioned so far:

Spectra School House (complete and with red roof) 1989
            Blue Box Dolls House (complete with 4 figures and all furniture) 1980
            Playmates Takara playsets (photos earlier on in the thread) 1993
            My Dream House dolls house (complete with 2 figures, woman and baby, and a lot of furniture). No brand that I can see, but looks close to the Fisher Price house. The logo has two kids in a square. No clue on date, but would guess 1990s which would be when it was bought.

All in good condition overall. The My Dream House is in very good condition. No boxes to any of it.

Comment

No worries.....
              I'll have a look for you. I've got the photos from earlier if I need anything else, I'll PM you...

"Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?"
              - Vintage and Collectable Toy and Juvenilia

Comment

Originally posted by Yesterplays View Post
                No worries.....
                I'll have a look for you. I've got the photos from earlier if I need anything else, I'll PM you...

Thanks No problem.

Comment

I know it has only been a week, but I was just wondering if you had any valuations yet? Don't worry if you haven't, I'm just really curious to know if they're worth something even if it's just a couple of quid lol.

Comment

I'm still interested in knowing the value of these toys if anyone knows what they're worth (if anything).

Comment

Working...
                    X