Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panini Football Sticker albums

Let's face it.

Pretty much all the lads had em', even if they didn't like football.

Mexico 86 world cup one was my personal favourite.

Re: Panini Football Sticker albums

My brother had many of the Football ones, I remember having the Back To The Future & Beano collections, but never managed to complete them.

The Observer reprinted many of the World Cup ones in 1998, I've still got them somewhere.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

The only one I ever personally collected was Mexico 86. I got to within three stickers of completing it. It was ironic because I didn't actually watch football in 1986 or see *any* of the Mexico 86 tournament. I only really got into football for real a couple of years later.

I'd had another few non-football Panini albums prior to that (Back to the Future, MASK and Transformers) so I think I just had 'the collecting bug' at that age. All the other kids in the yard were collecting Mexico 86 and the whole concept of 'football' was a strange new world to me (I'd literally never heard of most of the 24 countries before), so I just had to start collecting too!

Come to think of it, rereading that now at kid who didn't like football at the time collecting Mexico 86 was a pretty crazy/stupid thing to be doing!

Comment

More on the Panini sticker albums here...https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...ghlight=Panini
        1976 Vintage

Comment

I had Football 87 and Football 88.

Comment

My first one was either Football 78 or World Cup 78, but at the time I preferred the Topps trading cards with the bubble gum inside.

Comment

As far as the football ones go I collected Premier League 95, 96 and 97. I only really got into football in mid-1995 and I bought that year's book really just to fit in because it seemed everyone was collecting that one. I didn't get far at all with that one though.

My favourite of the footie ones was Premier League 1996 though, got great memories of that one. I remember getting the album for free from McDonalds with a token and I still have it to this day but it has obviouslt taken a bit of a battering. I was three stickers off from completing it, the people at Merlin stickers didn't send me them for some reason.

Me and my mate also began collecting another one called 'Premier League Football' which was actually non-Premier League teams (Division one, two, three, etc.) That one was a but rubbish though.

I did attempt to collect the Euro 2012 stickers for a laugh but I couldn't justify spending money on it and the stickers and book were of terrible, terrible quality. There was also the fact that there wasn't that magic of trading stickers in the playground and running down to the shops with your mate with pocket money to get as many packets as you could.

Comment

Originally posted by Palazzo View Post
                As far as the football ones go I collected Premier League 95, 96 and 97. I only really got into football in mid-1995 and I bought that year's book really just to fit in because it seemed everyone was collecting that one. I didn't get far at all with that one though.

My favourite of the footie ones was Premier League 1996 though, got great memories of that one. I remember getting the album for free from McDonalds with a token and I still have it to this day but it has obviouslt taken a bit of a battering. I was three stickers off from completing it, the people at Merlin stickers didn't send me them for some reason.

Me and my mate also began collecting another one called 'Premier League Football' which was actually non-Premier League teams (Division one, two, three, etc.) That one was a but rubbish though.

I did attempt to collect the Euro 2012 stickers for a laugh but I couldn't justify spending money on it and the stickers and book were of terrible, terrible quality. There was also the fact that there wasn't that magic of trading stickers in the playground and running down to the shops with your mate with pocket money to get as many packets as you could.
                They did do some great ones in the 1990s Palazzo no doubts. I recall Panini used to be the top Footie Album to collect - though sadly Merlin came along and became the major Album and did a good job though not quite as good as Panini I found. Though I still collected whichever Album which was the popular one at the time, but I recall being very disappointed with one of the last Panini one's I collected which was really disappointing as they were no team badges in that one I recall :cry: I think I still have some Albums - though they are in a poor condition sadly (if I still have them or this was the case last time I noticed them). I don't know if other members can recall too, the day's of the then 2nd Division being included with a Team Badge and Photo, as with another one too from circa 1982 - which I was given by a relative - had Division 3 in in the same format. Sadly I had none I collected from 1982 or 1983 to 1987 to see if this carried on. Thinking about the Albums as so - sure bring back halcyon memories indeed without doubt.
                Last edited by 80sChav; 11-09-2013, 17:54.

Comment

I remember my brother's 1980s Panini football books had a full team for 1st division, team picture & 1/2 sticker badge for 2nd division.

The Scottish Premier teams had a full size badge & team, & half stickers for the players.

Each year there were a few themed pages, World Superstars, European cups, Team nicknames, Brits abroad, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                    I remember my brother's 1980s Panini football books had a full team for 1st division, team picture & 1/2 sticker badge for 2nd division.

The Scottish Premier teams had a full size badge & team, & half stickers for the players.

Each year there were a few themed pages, World Superstars, European cups, Team nicknames, Brits abroad, etc.
                    I recall some of the themes well Richard - in 1990 there was a great theme for the World Cup in Italy that year, as well as a wall/progress chart for the First division Teams where you could have your own Leauge Table where you could use Club Badges for this purpose of when the Leauge Table had changed. I don't know if others had the same problem for the Leauge Wall/Progress Chart but sadly the sticky on them did not last long at all - so I could not continue with this idea! I recall fondly as well that the 1990 Album was a very big one in comparison to other years and that red and Yellow packeted Stickers were available in the Shops - with each one having more of a certain sticker in (though I am unsure which where which) but in one the respective Red or Yellow Packets you got at least one other sticker than a player.I recall well with happiness searching many a shop trying to find whichever packet of stickers were not as popular in the area I lived at the time - which would enable me to find the more needed stickers. A idea I adopted at the time (1990s) was to keep my own progress chart with a piece of paper in the album that was like a constant Leauge Table where I kept check of which Clubs were complete and by how many stickers required to complete. The times that this changed and I thought eg "yeah Middlesbro or Man City etc are certain to be complete this week" ... then another Club's page would by some miracle overtake them with me finding the remaining 3 Players etc when I never thought I would! These sure are very happy memories of more happy times for me

Comment

My brother had the Italia 90 binder mag / sticker collection. Not from Panini but I think it was the only collection my brother managed to complete.

In spite of Panini claiming that all stickers were printed in equal numbers there were playground rumours that some were really hard to find.

The badges always seemed to be in short supply, & you could only send off for 5 of them. My cousins nearly completed one collection, they only had 32 to go (50 was the most you could order), but 9 of them were badges.

Comment

i find it hard to believe all stickers where printed in equal numbers as some where super hard to get.

i collected these for many yrs but if you didnt get them all soon enough by the start of the following lge season players could ave moved clubs.
                        i remember buying lots of packs in the hope of getting the ones i needed and i got the odd one but not all.

i wonder did they do albums for any previous world cups and when did they start doing it with world cups.
                        id have thought these world cup ones where the hardest to complete less stickers but less time to get them as they would have made less stickers.

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                        My brother had the Italia 90 binder mag / sticker collection. Not from Panini but I think it was the only collection my brother managed to complete.

In spite of Panini claiming that all stickers were printed in equal numbers there were playground rumours that some were really hard to find.

The badges always seemed to be in short supply, & you could only send off for 5 of them. My cousins nearly completed one collection, they only had 32 to go (50 was the most you could order), but 9 of them were badges.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I'm sure that the stickers were indeed printed in equal quantities (or at least the 'regular' ones were). Perhaps the reflective/foil ones were print in lesser quantities as I could imagine they probably cost more to produce per unit?

Now I'd guess where the impression we have that they were not printed in equal amounts came about was because of irregular distribution. For example, just by random luck perhaps Dundee gets too many of the Uruguay foil badge but then kids in Southampton all have Steve Archibald or whatever. Each region has too many of one and not enough of some other, but overall it balanced out.

After all it seems like it'd probably actually be more effort to deliberately print unequal numbers of stickers for any given set and it seems to me like there'd actually be no major point in doing such a thing anyway.

Comment

Got my first about 1975. They had to be glued in and had european teams in the back, oh the exoticness of Slovan Bratislava,Ferencvaros and Levski Sofia.

Comment

glued in wow you couldnt just peel the back of them and stick them on.
                              so there where sticker albums released in othe countries for footie teams not just in the uk.

Originally posted by havasack View Post
                              Got my first about 1975. They had to be glued in and had european teams in the back, oh the exoticness of Slovan Bratislava,Ferencvaros and Levski Sofia.
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                              X