Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Family Sitcom" about a taxi firm

Can anyone help me with this?
    I recall, back in the 90's, there used to be a "family" sitcom (i.e. not very funny) about a Taxi / minicab firm. As I remember it the programme used to be on Saturdays, BBC1, around the 5pm - 6pm slot.
    The characters included two young drivers who had their mopeds stolen in the first episode, and whenever they went anywhere they would mount "invisible" motorbikes and pretend to ride off.
    Another character was called something like "Winco", and dressed in a flying jacket and thought that he was a WW2 pilot. He would regularly pretend to "fly" around the office, giving full WW2 sound effects.
    The firm was owned by the father, but the daughter appeared to be the only sane character and kept things running - There was a bit of "talking to camera" on her part.
    I think there was only one series, and it appeared that the writers were getting a desperate by the end.

I can't for the life of me remember the name of the sitcom, and have tried searching on the web - I know that I didn't dream it (even I can come up with better dreams than this!)

Any Ideas?

Re: "Family Sitcom" about a taxi firm

Sounds like 'Roger Roger'. The company was called 'Cresta Cabs'. I vaguely remember it being about as much fun as changing a tyre.

Comment

Whenever I did a search about sitcom-based taxi firms, "Roger, Roger" always seemed to come up. From reading the description it doesn't sound like "Roger, Roger" (which seems far too deep to be the series I am thinking of - my series was only slightly better in terms of comedy than Clive Dunn's series "Grandad"). Perhaps it was a minicab company? I know that I didn't dream it... I think that the Dad (who owned the taxi company) was a regular comedic character in films/TV - sadly I can't quite visualise him, but I think he was a Roy Barroclough - type character. One of the characters deprived of his moped was in the Craig Charles mould. The "Winco" character was a thin-faced, lugubrious guy who I have seen in minor roles in a number of sitcoms playing officious characters (such as trafic wardens, etc.) He reminds me a bit of "Holly" in "Red Dwarf" (Norman Lovett).

Comment

Success! It wasn't a sitcom about a taxi firm, but one about a motorcycle courier firm called "Roy's Raiders" - it was largely set in a despatch office, hence the confusion. (Also, it was broadcast in 1991, so I didn't do too badly for a single series sitcom broadcast 22 years ago, and never repeated to my knowledge.)

Comment

I think I recall this Paul - it was set in an old yard scrapyard I believe

Brilliant it was too!!

80sChav

Comment

The series is currently on a certain popular video website.

Comment

Working...
            X