TV series's that flopped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV series's that flopped

There have been several TV series's over the past 40 years or so that have just bombed- a lot of them comedies, but not all. Can anyone remember some of them? here are a few that I recall:

The notorious 'Albion Market', which has already got a special mention on DYR.

Moon & Son- late '80s sleuth drama starring Millicent Martin as a psychic who uses her astral powers to solve murder cases and other serious crimes, aided by her teenage son. It hit the decks after the first series, but Martin was very upset when it was pulled.

Ennal's Point- early '80s drama series set around a lifeboat crew and their families, broadcast on weekday mid-afternoons. Supposedly set in a fictional town in North Devon, it was actually filmed in Mumbles on the Gower Peninsula in Wales (though it DID feature a real yacht called the 'Gay Lady' that used to be based in Mumbles). It's airing schedule attracted low viewing figures, and it's relocation to England from Wales annoyed the Welsh- actually quite a good concept for a soap opera, but badly mishandled.

Oh! Dr.Beeching!- feeble sitcom starring Paul Shane, Su Pollard and Steven Lewis (who played Inspector Blake in 'On The Buses'), set in a country railway station in the early '60s on the eve of the 'Beeching Axe'. Actually succeeded in running for two series's in the mid-'90s, but ultimately ran out of steam....

The Mrs. Bradley Mysteries- although not broadcast till 2000, this was actually MADE in 1998 and starred Diana Rigg as a wealthy widowed heiress in the mid 1920s and her faithful sidekick chauffeur, who were amateur detectives. Really a second-rate rip-off of Agatha Christie's Ms.Marple stories, it fell flat on it's face.

There was a supposed 'comedy' made in the mid-'90s whose name I can't remember, set in a nuclear command & control bunker that was being decommissioned following the end of the Cold War. Intended to be a post-Soviet version of 'Dad's Army', few people felt that the subject of nuclear annihilation had any light side that could be made a joke of, and the series was an embarrasment to the BBC.

Jericho- being a bit cheeky here, as this dates only from 2006 and so is officially beyond the remit of this site; Robert Lindsay played a detective in early 1950s East End London. Never took off, most people felt that it was a 'period detective series too far'.

Beast- 1999 sitcom about a reluctant country vet, meant to be a rather lighter version of Doc.Martin. I think people got fed up with vets being regarded as figures of fun whilst doctors & nurses are always taken so seriously.

Anyone recall any others? I'd be interested to know!!

Re: TV series's that flopped

el dorado a soap set in spain with the likes of jessie birdsall pilar moreno etc.

by the time the ratings picked up it had already been scheduled for the chop.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

The North Sea ferry based Triangle is normally high on the list of flop series, though it somehow managed to get 3 series made.

In spite of an all-star cast the UK version of The Golden Girls, The Brighton Belles managed to be axed even before the end of it's 1st series.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Valentine Park, mid 80s comedy about a park keeper and the disastrous love life of one of the gardeners, starring David Thewlis and Ken Jones. also the British version of the brilliant Married with Children, cant remember the name of it but it stared Russ Abbot and was truly awful.

Comment

didn't they have another go at crossroads?........i'm sure i vaguely remember something or was it a dreammmmmmmm ?

Comment

crossroads was on again around 2000.
            i remember it because 9/11 was on the news at the same time.

i thought it rather good.

Originally posted by shilton dipper View Post
            didn't they have another go at crossroads?........i'm sure i vaguely remember something or was it a dreammmmmmmm ?

Comment

At the same time the the Crossroad revival, ITV also commissioned Night & Day, which also flopped.

Both series were to fill the gap left by Channel5 buying the rights to Home & Away.

Comment

Originally posted by sweep View Post
                Valentine Park, mid 80s comedy about a park keeper and the disastrous love life of one of the gardeners, starring David Thewlis and Ken Jones. also the British version of the brilliant Married with Children, cant remember the name of it but it stared Russ Abbot and was truly awful.
                Married For Life, wasnt it?. And don't forget the hideous version of the Golden Girls: Brighton Belles.

Comment

i wondered wjhere night and day went.
                  only seemed to last no more than 10 or so eps.
                  it was promoted a lot.

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                  At the same time the the Crossroad revival, ITV also commissioned Night & Day, which also flopped.

Both series were to fill the gap left by Channel5 buying the rights to Home & Away.

Comment

I remember around 1994-5 the BBC made a show called Castles which wasn't quite a soap, but was shown 2 nights each week with a sunday omnibus (I think).

There were some odd plots, like a teenage boy deciding to become a priest in spite of not showing any religious interest.

It didn't last long, only a few months.

Comment

I was going to say Eldorado too. I loved it!! Finding out your man wotsisname was Freddie's secret lover was the biggest shock I've ever had in a soap. Great show, great escapism.

Comment

When you mention TV series that flopped, the BBC's Eldorado is the one that immediately springs to mind, closely followed by Albion Market.
                        Wirral Writer
                        www.alantoner.com

Comment

albion market never heard of it at all.
                          when was it shown how long did it last.

Originally posted by Wirral Writer View Post
                          When you mention TV series that flopped, the BBC's Eldorado is the one that immediately springs to mind, closely followed by Albion Market.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                            albion market never heard of it at all.
                            when was it shown how long did it last.
                            Albion Market lasted almost exactly a year from August 1985 to 1986.

One problem it had was being shown on Friday & Sunday nights, when most ITV programming around the weekend was glossy & showbiz orientated.

In the days when the ITV companies could "opt out" of networked programming, many did so & chose to screen something they considered more fitting to the schedule.

It seemed to attempt to merge the best aspects of Coronation Street, Eastenders & Brookside together, but never came close to gelling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albion_Market

Comment

I've got the 'Albion Market' theme somewhere. Quite nice in a sort of downbeat way.

Wasn't 'Castles' the soap that was set half in Britain and half in Australia? - Or was that something else?

I can add 'Not With A Bang' (1990) - LWT sitcom starring Stephen Rea, Ronald Pickup, Josie Lawrence & Mike Grady as four survivors of an annihalation of the human race caused by Judith Hann dropping a test tube of some kind of ageing hormone on a 'Tomorrow's World'-type programme. They inhabited a remote village and spent most of the series dividing their time between trying to make contact with any other potential survivors, and deciding how they might re-populate the world. I really enjoyed it, but it only lasted one series.
                              "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Working...
                              X