National Anthem suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Anthem suggestions

Not exactly nostalgia but it is something we have all been forced to listen to all our lives so that is my excuse for raising it.
    As mentioned on a previous post by myself, I would suggest our national anthem is awful. It's slow, boring. monotonous and seems to go on forever. It would be interesting to hear what people would like to see it replaced with. Doesn't have to be a serious tune such as Jerusalem, but relevance would be a plus !
    I would start us off with suggesting Monty Python's "Always look on the bright side of life". It's cheerful and optimistic....just like us Brits !!
    Last edited by Cooldeepblue; 15-10-2013, 17:48.

Re: National Anthem suggestions

Jerusalem for England
    GSTQ for NI (if any Ulster folk here can suggest anything else?)
    LOMF for Wales

Scotland should ditch the second rate folk dirge that is Flower of Scotland, and go back to Scotland the Brave. The latter is a great, rousing tune, I have never accepted FoS as my anthem, we only sing it because of THAT rugby match in 1990.

Comment

Rule Britannia as a general British anthem.

Great tune, rousing, patriotic, and is pan-British. And written by a Scotsman, James Thomson, so no complaints that its an 'English anthem'.

Comment

Good choices...certainly more usable than mine lol. Interestingly enough England actually has no national anthem...GSTQ being the British anthem not England's as is commonly thought.

Comment

Land Of Hope & Glory is a possible English anthem, it's used for the Commonwealth Games, & was used at football matches during Don Revie's time as England manager, which might explain why it didn't last!
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I'd like to put in a word for 'Little Britain' by Dreadzone (from 1995). It's patriotic, and there are two versions - with or without lyrics/vocals.
            "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Maybe a song with a rose in the title for England

Comment

GSTQ for NI (if any Ulster folk here can suggest anything else?)
                Alternative Ulster by the Stiff Little Fingers?

For the UK, it may be American originally, but the Liberty Bell would be great (it was the into theme to Monty Python's Flying Circus)

Comment

Jerusalem is a splendid tune, but the words make no sense at all. No, Jesus did not alk on England's mountains, and Jerusalem wasn't built here.

How about I vow to thee my country.

Or Queen's We are The Champions.
                  Last edited by I. R. Fincham; 31-10-2013, 11:22.

Comment

Rule Britannia is more like what our national anthem should be, but only in the chorus which is rousing in tune and lyrics and about pride and personal freedom of the people and so on, I'm not suggesting that one be picked just that it's along the right lines where as god save the queen has relevance only to her a figure head and little more who serves no purpose in reflecting the the country as a whole and the lives of the people therein. Although Jerusalem is about England it is also religious in origin just as Rule Britania is (RB is also intolerably long!!!) and therefore neither reflects the millions of people in this country who are in no way religious and would not identify with a hymn as an anthem. It needs to be reasonably short and not keep everyone waiting ages for a football match to begin as well.

Comment

Originally posted by I. R. Fincham View Post
                      Jerusalem is a splendid tune, but the words make no sense at all. No, Jesus did not alk on England's mountains, and Jerusalem wasn't built here.

How about I vow to thee my country.

Or Queen's We are The Champions.

In 'Jerusalem', Jerusalem is meant as a metaphor for a better place, so the line about building Jerusalem in England's green and pleasant land means to build a better society, to make England into a better place to live. It's a stirring piece and a definite contender for an English anthem should one be formally adopted. I also like Land of Hope and Glory and Rule, Britannia as patriotic songs.

Comment

I think that the England one is ok and I can recall growing up seeing it on TV re the Cup Final Day - but to .for me the best un-official one goes to Australia who should really make "I'm An Australian" their own and in-particular when the legend that ius Judith Durham sings it - it really sends a vbe down my spine even though I am not Australian really - just by tedious links on sisdtant Auntie's parts who emigrated to Australia 50 odd years or so back - but to hear the lyrics and how Australia found itself as a Country is summed up amazing - just like African/Carabean Dancers have songs and dance routines local to their villages I feel

80sChav

Comment

Thinking back to the 1980s and onwards, looking at the behaviour of certain British "holidaying" abroad, perhaps Spitting Image had it right.....Land of Chips and Lager.........:cry:
                          Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Attached Files
                            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
                            X