spend or scrooge this xmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spend or scrooge this xmas

Will it be a struggle this xmas with the cost of everything or will people go into more debt to satisfy their children

I wont be spending much and neither I will be a scrooge it will be in the middle only buy what you can afford is my motto.

Be grateful with what you get its the thought that counts not how much it costs.Will shops be struggling or will the tills be busy what do you think?

Re: spend or scrooge this xmas

I scrooged the last two Christmasses owing to the fact that I come from a very small family (only child and parents deceased) and I was living alone. Now it's three housemates, a cat and a baby (not mine ) so my shopping list has expanded a bit.

Comment

Definitely Scrooge, who has money for luxury's these days.

Comment

Scrooge. It's only myself and my parents on my side and we've never gone crazy at Christmas. We don't really like it that much so we keep it low key - a few small gifts and time together. That's what is important to us.

My partner has a large family who love to do Christmas big style and try to drag us in to the melee. Luckily he doesn't like the chaos of it all either and likes to keep them at a distance. I made it clear early on that I did not expect presents from them and would not be buying gifts for them either. I get the Scrooge comments but it's so much easier all round. Everybody thinks you're odd when you don't embrace the festivities and huge family gatherings! We make every excuse to avoid them and prefer a cozy time together. Bah humbug
        1976 Vintage

Comment

Although we have large extended family and we are having most over for lunch on christmas day, we never go mad, we have £20 limits for presents and although we buy for parents we dont buy for siblings just their children. When we were both working we could have spent a fortune on our son but he has always had a limit which some of family/friends cant believe.

I wouldnt go into debt for presents for anyone.

As other say its more important to spend quality time with family and friends.

Comment

Brothers and sisters kids seem to be appearing as quick as rabbits over the last few years so there are quite a few to buy for this year. What with no pay rise for the last 5 years and the cost of living going up I can't honestly afford to buy much for them. It's simply going to be an voucher each for the kids so they can put it towards something they would like or their parents think they need. I'll get something for my parents but as for brothers and sisters this year they already know I just can't afford to buy for them as well as their kids. Not a scrooge as such its just what I can afford with what little I have.

Comment

I was in primark it was really busy think lots of females were buying xmas gifts socks,pyjamas,gloves,scarves etc starting early to get it out of the way,I think the expensive shops could struggle this xmas,they may have to slash prices just to sell the products

Comment

i must admit im on the scrooge side this year ive got kids few bits and feel so guilty i got few months left to top up but i have brought all cheap things so look like they got lots wish could just win few hundered to get lots more
                THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

We have a pretty big family, even when trying to keep a limit for each person it get's pretty hard and with our kids both having birthdays just before and just after Christmas it's not only expensive but you run out of ideas of what to buy. But I'm a budgeting person I have different pots in the house for different things. I budget what's going out the bank when and keep to a strict amount for shopping/housekeeping every week so I know we're always OK. For Christmas and Birthdays I have a separate bank ac which I transfer £125 in every month so come this time of year there's never any question about where the money is going to come from and hopefully there will be plenty left over after Christmas to bump start a holiday fund or special treat for ourselves!
                  sigpic

Comment

Shops like B & M Home Bargains,Poundland/world will do well this year,their gifts are cheaper than Boots which have gone really expensive 3 for 2 range.

Comment

matey them are my shops i allways go to i dont attemt to even shop in any dear shops now
                      you can get 2 bags full off shopping to 1 lol

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                      Shops like B & M Home Bargains,Poundland/world will do well this year,their gifts are cheaper than Boots which have gone really expensive 3 for 2 range.

Comment

I always go for spend.
                        I'm sensible all year, so I deserve my yearly blowout.

Saying that, this year is gonna be the tightest yet.
                        My girlfriends birthday is 9 days before so i'm going to have to be very creative with my cash this year.

Comment

scrooge here to but its more because i have very little so i cant really spend.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                            scrooge here to but its more because i have very little so i cant really spend.
                            How many parents go into debt this christmas just to please their kids with gagets,I wouldnt like to be a parent these days they dont want toys anymore
                            The way I look at it the thought that counts not how much a gift costs

Comment

the old my 2 get the harder it gets my son 5 and already on ps3 daughter 8 and she on laptop got her a mini laptop this year for someat different all other stuff just cheap to make it look like got lots

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                              How many parents go into debt this christmas just to please their kids with gagets,I wouldnt like to be a parent these days they dont want toys anymore
                              The way I look at it the thought that counts not how much a gift costs

Comment

Working...
                              X