Drop the Dead Donkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop the Dead Donkey

Even though the news stories it contains are old, it still stands out as well thought out and well written, and to think each show was only put together two or three hours before it aired to keep the stories current - brilliant!

Re: Drop the Dead Donkey

This is quite a forgotten gem of a sitcom, I remember C4 repeated the 1st series in 1996 & it didn't seem dated after 6 years, some current things had stood the test of time.

I also used to like the fact that it used to be made very close to the transmission time.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I hated it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hair Bear View Post
        .... and to think each show was only put together two or three hours before it aired ...
        Actually, it was made several months before it aired, except for a couple of lines per episode that were shot a day or two before broadcast.

Comment

I can't see how such a show can be funny. I've been watching some old editions of 3-2-1 and at the start, Ted Rodgers does a short topical monologue... so he'll say something like 'we invited Arthur Scargill, but he couldn't find anywhere to park', and everyone howls with laughter. This is obviously related to some event concerning Arthur Scargill and car parks that week in 19eightywhatever-it-was, but I'll be damned if I have any idea what it was all about, and so the joke isn't remotely funny in 2013.

So isn't DTDD like this?

Comment

It's funny if you remember the time it was made, some shows seem to base a lot of jokes on pop culture references.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTanna_Investigations View Post
              I can't see how such a show can be funny. I've been watching some old editions of 3-2-1 and at the start, Ted Rodgers does a short topical monologue... so he'll say something like 'we invited Arthur Scargill, but he couldn't find anywhere to park', and everyone howls with laughter. This is obviously related to some event concerning Arthur Scargill and car parks that week in 19eightywhatever-it-was, but I'll be damned if I have any idea what it was all about, and so the joke isn't remotely funny in 2013.

So isn't DTDD like this?

No, not really. There were a couple of lines per episode that related to that particular week's news, and a few that referred to events of that decade. But most most of the humour came from the actions and interactions of the characters, and is timeless. Jokes about management-speak and team building exercises, and problems caused by gambling addiction are just as relevant today as they were then.

Comment

I liked the on the spot reporter who used to take a trainer & teddy to each report on an accident or disaster to use as props.

Comment

Working...
                X