Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What naff souvenirs did you or your parents come home from holiday with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What naff souvenirs did you or your parents come home from holiday with?

I think mine would surely take the prize for being the most naff. My mom took a trip to Greece and brought back... wait for it... a rock that she found on a street in Athens!

Comment

Wow this has sparked a memory for me! My nanna had one of these in her hall way and I had completely forgotten about it until now. I don't know how as it was there for as long as I can remember.

Thing is when I think about it now it makes me feel rather sad. I remember it had quite a melancholic, tinkling melody that would slow down as the wind up began to run out until it would utter a final little plink....plonk of the tune then stop. Somehow it reminds me of my nanna back then and makes me want to cry...I feel silly

Must add, I meant to quote havasack's post. I am referring to the wind up windmill.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
        I think mine would surely take the prize for being the most naff. My mom took a trip to Greece and brought back... wait for it... a rock that she found on a street in Athens!
        Oh that was mean

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
          Oh that was mean
          It wasn't as much meanness as cluelessness because some things are totally lost on people. She also brought back some 2004 Olympics T-shirts from that trip. Something one didn't have to go all the way to Greece to find. In all fairness the rock's only mine because my mom passed away a few years ago. I found it when I was clearing out the house.

When she returned from the trip I thought for sure she would have had some great pics and interesting stories. As for the pics, she said her camera died and she didn't know how to change the battery, Then I asked her about the Acropolis and she said she didn't go even though the other people she went with did because she felt it was too much walking for her. She spent most of the trip at some cafe with the mother of one of her travel companions.

Comment

How disapointing I like to hear stories and look at pictures when people I know go on holidays,not wanting to know about being stuck in cafes chatting

Comment

Lots really, lots of little plates etc and things to put keys on. One little dish type plate is having a very extended life in my bathroom as a soap dish with no lid. I devour things plates and coasters with place names on and had a few from years since being younger - though I've not been to most of them as I have collected as a lot were bought in charity shops and car boot sales - but they offer something amazing in this respect in a way I can not truly describe and give them justice for.

I guess the most easy description is they are like 1970s/1980s "tributes" that will never be seen to the degree they were in the resorts that sold them is what interests me muchly about them. In the main they belong to a time long gone and now time has changed in varying ways which in return serves as a nice reminder I feel/think.

Comment

What about those little balls of fuzz with feet and googly eyes on? They usually had a bit of ribbon saying the place name on them. Anybody remember those?

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                  What about those little balls of fuzz with feet and googly eyes on? They usually had a bit of ribbon saying the place name on them. Anybody remember those?
                  I remember a friend of mine used to have lots of them. I think he used to buy one from every place he visited that sold them.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

They're still popular in the charity sector. Often see them being given away as advertising freebies.
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                      I put one of those on a railway line. Along came a goods train and squashed it into a solid plastic disk! I still have it somewhere.

Comment

Occasionally we would end up with a badge but badges are rather cool so can't be classes as naff. Also seem to recall those small round plastic window sticker things and for some reason tea towels with place names and pictures on them. Barometers and other weather gauging items like the tacky thing I just cannot remember the name of that used to change colour when it was going to rain.

Comment

I just recently got into collecting vintage travel souvenirs starting with ones from the two theme parks near me. I find lots at the local yard sales such as this one.

Comment

Working...
                          X