Rocky O'Rourke - "A Pair of Jesus Boots"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky O'Rourke - "A Pair of Jesus Boots"

Does any one remember Rocky O'Rourke on television? It was based on the book "A Pair of Jesus Boots". I remember it around the early or mid 70's. I have found a few mentions on other sites but no footage. It was set in Liverpool and would probably have alot of known actors in it. This copy of the book's cover is from the tv series

Re: Rocky O'Rourke - "A Pair of Jesus Boots"

I can't remember anything about a tv series,but i do have that book up in the attic.I got it in pimary school in the 70's.

Comment

I remember reading it in school. I'd love to see the TV version is anyone can find it.

Comment

I'm the other way round with it. I clearly remember it but have never read it. I remember at the end he gets a pair of shoes and a pair of football boots but he keeps his sandals and hangs them up.
        I Have just found this on another site
        The theme to "Rocky O'Rourke" is on youtube. No clips of it, but it must be around as I found some screen grabs of it on someone from Wirral's myspace page. Judging by his description of himself, he was in the programme himself-
        http://www.myspace.com/desabasshead/pho ... rke/984048

The myspace page belongs to Eamonn Deery ( Desa Basshead of Bassheads ) who played Billy in the show, He mentions it here-
        http://prelude.weebly.com/desa-basshead.html
        .."I was 15 at the time and was lucky enough to land a lead roll in a four part BBC Children's Television series called 'Rocky O' Rourke' My character was called Billy, a member of a teenage gang called 'The Cats' It was filmed on location throughout Liverpool during the long hot summer of 1976 The series was adapted from a book called 'A Pair Of Jesus Boots' by Syliva Sherry and was originally broadcast nationally on the BBC in 1977 and then repeated again in 1978".

Can't say I remember it as I was only 5 in 1976. Robert Keegan on the left from Straw Dogs & One Summer ( Wally the unlucky newsagent ). Also featured a young Chinese lad.
        Last edited by Fab; 01-11-2013, 08:06.

Comment

What on Earth ARE "Jesus boots"?

Comment

Originally posted by I. R. Fincham View Post
            What on Earth ARE "Jesus boots"?
            Open toed sandals!

Comment

I was an extra in this when I was 13/14. It was filmed in Wellington Road School in the Dingle Liverpool 8 in 1975/6.
              I've been looking to buy the series if it ever was released on dvd but it has never been released. I would love to have it as I remember it well and a lot of my old school friends & myself appeared on it. Can anyone help?

Comment

Hi Alan- have you tried Angus Tilston, he is a local historian who has films from/about the city- he may be able to help - don't have contact details, but Bay TV had an interview with him last year, try them.

Comment

Working...
                X