man about the house/george and mildred

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• man about the house/george and mildred

has anyone noticed when man about the house is on george and milded are in it.

ive never seen anything like this not only have george and mildred there own show but they are in man about the house.

i just wonder are both shows set in the same street.

thing is i cant remember the main cast of MA T H being in george and mildred.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Re: man about the house/george and mildred

Didnt you know that George Roper was their landlord

Comment

g&m start there own show after man about the house finished they even say in one of the programs that they going to do like they did be4 take in lodgers so really it should of been g&m part 2 lol
      THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

i loved both series.........they don't make em like they used to

Comment

Thing is,
          George and Mildred was a spin off series from MATH after Chrissie got married and the series finished.
          Weird thing is that the actor who played Chrissies new Hubby was also cast as the guy next door in George and Mildred.
          Richard O' Sullivan went on to star in "Robin's nest" with Tessa Wyatt as his Mr's.
          I'm pretty sure you can catch some of the episodes on youtube.
          Its all good 70's fare. I should know.....I remember it first time.

Comment

only found out that the other day.

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
            Didnt you know that George Roper was their landlord

Comment

It's been so long since I had watched man about the house, last time I watched it was when it was in it's original run on telly. Totally forgot about George ad Mildred being in it.

Comment

george and mildred are great in both i love the way mildred trys to get george to have an early night all the time they been tryin all through MATH and G&M then in G&M they finaly go bed early the next morning mildred smilein and singin george comes down ready to have heart attack great stuff so funny
                THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Man About The House and George & Mildred have been running alternately on ITV3 for the last few months - They just started the next repeat of the former last week, so the latter will quite likely be on again soon.

P.S. There was a movie version of both series as well.

Comment

yeah movies are both very good

man about the house one was on recently and its about a fella trying to get the tenants to sell there houses george wants to ell but mildred does not.

Originally posted by PC66 View Post
                    Man About The House and George & Mildred have been running alternately on ITV3 for the last few months - They just started the next repeat of the former last week, so the latter will quite likely be on again soon.

P.S. There was a movie version of both series as well.

Comment

I guess, you never heard of the American version called The Ropers then? It wasn't good...

Comment

most us spin offs of uk shows aReNT normally that good.

Originally posted by agfagaevart View Post
                        I guess, you never heard of the American version called The Ropers then? It wasn't good...

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                          most us spin offs of uk shows aReNT normally that good.
                          I think the problem is that the "translation" moves the overall feel of a show away from whatever we've been used to, although clearly in some cases the show in its original form would not work on the other side of the Atlantic because it contains too many peculiarly British references in some form or other.

Series like Are You Being Served? made the journey well enough unchanged because the dialogue is fairly universal comedy. Certainly there are British references and colloquialisms which won't be understood by everyone in America, but not enough to detract from the overall concept.

On the other hand, a series such as Steptoe & Son was really very British in both the huge amounts of colloquial and slang terms used, the many other British references, and the whole concept of the traditional "rag & bone" man. I doubt it would ever have caught on unchanged in the U.S., which is no doubt why the American networks never decided to try it. The "translated" version, Sanford & Son, was so adjusted to convert terminology, specific cultural references and concepts etc. that it seems very removed from the Steptoe & Son that most of us grew up with in Britain.

For anyone who isn't familiar with both shows and has the time to watch, here's the piano episode from the first series of Steptoe & Son:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohpfvyea2O0

And here's how the same story ended up in Sanford & Son a decade or so later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_G6feG3zpA

Comment

More recently fans of the American version of The Office reckon it got better after they had run out of scripts adapted from the British episodes & started to use ones written by American writers.

One odd adaptation was One The Rocks, which was an American verison of Porridge. It didn't last long, but more episodes were comissioned than had been written for the origianal at that point.

Some of the specially written scripts were then used for the final series of Porridge, something I wouldn't have guessed until I read a book on the series.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by PC66 View Post
                              I think the problem is that the "translation" moves the overall feel of a show away from whatever we've been used to, although clearly in some cases the show in its original form would not work on the other side of the Atlantic because it contains too many peculiarly British references in some form or other.
                              I remember seeing the US version of Fawlty Towers late one night...:cry: Oh dear...

BUT...The UK version of Good Times, was called The Fosters, and that wasn't too bad. LWT didn't really support it much though.

Comment

Working...
                              X