Twenty More Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twenty More Questions

Here's another round of fun questions devoted to '70s - '90s matters. Just for fun!

1) Which comedy film, released in 1980, starred Cannon & Ball, Roy Kinnear and Suzanne Danielle, and was based upon an earlier Ealing comedy starring Stanley Holloway?

2) Which much maligned British Leyland car nevertheless succeeded in coming 3rd in the 1974 Monte Carlo Rally?

3) Which heavy rock star created disgust in 1985 when he said that he (quote) 'didn't give a toss about the Ethiopian famine'?

4) In between leaving The Undertones and going solo, Feargal Sharkey was in a short-lived music trio that also featured Vince Clarke from Yazoo, and had a chart entry with a song called 'It Never Happens To Me'. What was the name of the band?

5) Two famous British comedians died in 1992; one of them was Benny Hill, who was the other one? (N.B. this year also saw the death of Michael Robbins from 'On The Buses', but I'm not including him as he was never a comedian in his own right).

6) Who was the champion darts player nicknamed 'The Crafty Cockney'?

7) What vitamin supplement, advertised on TV c.1980, included in the advert a line of hopscotching children, an old man wolf-whistling a fat-bottomed woman playing bowls, and an ante-natal class where two pregnant ladies bump their bellies into each other?

8) Who served as Heritage Minister in both the Thatcher and Major governments, was forced to resign his position twice, and is now a presenter on Classic FM?

9) In 1985, the actress Samantha Novak was tragically found dead floating in the River Avon near Bristol. Who is her famous mother?

10) Which comedians had the following catchphrases:
    'Rock on, Tommy'
    'It's the way I tell 'em'
    'I Was There!'

11) What 1970s comic featured a plethora of children's TV charcters including Mary, Mungo & Midge, The Herbs, The Pogles, and Bizzie Lizzie?

12) Staying with comics, which boy's comic from the early 1950s was re-launched in 1982, but subsequently withdrawn as some of the content of the new version was said to be too scarey for youngsters?

13) What came out of East Germany when the Berlin Wall came down, that developed an adoring cult following and was nicknamed 'The Plastic Bomber'?

14) Which champion snooker player founded a nationwide chain of snooker clubs after his retirement from the professional game?

15) Which folk-rock band has released albums whose titles include 'Too Old to Rock n'Roll but Too Young to Die', 'Stormwatch' and 'The Broadsword and The Beast', and whose lead singer has adopted Scotland as his home country and now has a salmon farm there?

16) In 1983, Welsh band The Alarm released a hit song '68 Guns', which was criticised by certain sections of the government and the media. Why was this?

17) Who was the last leader of the Soviet Union? (N.B. careful with this one- it's not as easy as it sounds!)

18) In 1999, Kevin Keegan resigned as England manager following England's 1-0 defeat to Germany in a World Cup qualifying round. Why did he take such drastic action just because of this?

19) What medical advance was launched in 1986 that made having some surgical operations much less of a performance?

20) What quiz game, originally launched in 1982, went on to become popular with yuppies?

ANSWERS

1) The Boys In Blue

2) The Austin Allegro

3) Lemmy from Motorhead

4) The Assembly

5) Frankie Howerd

6) Eric Bristow

7) Crooke's 1-a Day Multivitamins

8) David Mellor

9) Shirley Bassey

10) Bobby Ball from Cannon & Ball
    Frank Carson
    Max Boyce

11) 'Pippin'

12) 'The Eagle'

13) The Trabant car

14) Willie Thorne

15) Jethro Tull

16) Because the song was seen to be a tribute to the Free Wales Army and other Welsh Nationalist paramilitaries

17) Boris Yeltsin (Mikhail Gorbachev resigned on Christmas Day 1991, but the USSR was not wound up until the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve that year, meaning that Yeltsin was in power for the last week of it's existence- told you it was a tricky one!)

18) Because it was the last professional game to be played in the old Wembley Stadium before it was demolished, and Keegan wanted it to go out with an England win

19) Keyhole surgery

20) 'Trivial Persuit'

Re: Twenty More Questions

I have just come across this after using the Search function, and I have a few points to make about the questions and answers:

1) (Ref: Q1) The Boys in Blue was made and released in 1983 and not 1980.

2) (Ref: Q5) Benny Hill died the day after Frankie Howerd. What was confusing was that Hill paid tribute to Howerd as they were great friends, but due to the fact that the two men had died during the Easter weekend which delaying the news of the deaths, the tribute to Howerd seemed to have came two days after Hill himself died.

3) (Ref: Q11) With regards to Pippin, I think that there was actually a character called Pippin itself and I think that he was in Pogle's Wood. Many years ago we had the 1971 and 1979 annuals, and I think that Sooty and Sweep was in the latter (even though they were on ITV by then).
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
    X