'Bag of Laughs'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Bag of Laughs'

Does anybody remember these awful things that were popular in the '70s? Small cotton drawstring bags that contained devices which, when tapped, produced a harsh, mechanical shrieking niose that approximated to hysterical laughter. It didn't sound like a real human voice at all, and indeed may not have been a recorded loop-tape but some kind of electronic synthesised noise. I hated them, they sounded horribly sinister and mad- like a Dalek with laryngitis laughing through cotton wool. For some reason, they seemed more popular with girls than with boys- but how anyone could be entertained by the things is beyond me.

Re: 'Bag of Laughs'

Do I remember it!?, DO I REMEMBER IT!?.........Yes I b****ing well do remember it. One kid used to bring it every day to school and set it off until the teacher confiscated it.
    He had to promise not to bring it back in order to get it back.
    I'm still haunted by its maniacal laughter to this day. After the first few times it just got more and more annoying until it became like a sort of torture.
    I wonder if the CIA and MI5 still use it to extract information from terrorists.

Agent 1: He won't tell us where the bomb is hidden! we've tried everything, sodium pentathol, pulling his nails, even playing the birdie song on repeat for 10 straight hours!
    Agent 2: OK, then its time to resort to resort to desperate measures.
    Agent 1: Not.......Not....
    Agent 2: Yes, I'm afraid so.......Prepare the cell for "BAG O' LAUGHS"

Comment

Working...
    X