Menswear shops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Menswear shops

I was dragged into a fair few Menswear stores many moons ago by me mum, like a lot of young boys I guess: Mister Byrite, Dunn & Company are to name but a few.
    What about you guys? Did your mum drag you into Hepworths, and buy a jacket far too big, and then say you'll grow into it?

Re: Menswear shops

I can't remember going anywhere special for clothes, just the normal chain clothes shops.

One problem with buying clothes for school were woollen trousers that were really itchy for the 1st few washes, especially if the weather was still nice at the start of the autumn term.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Fosters was just a menswear shop wasn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by themilkman View Post
        Fosters was just a menswear shop wasn't it?
        Yes. I used to go to the one in Newbury for my clothes in the late 70's/80's.

I also had a couple of suits made at Hepworth's. My late Father used to call them the 'sack shop'.

Why ? because my Father had short legs a wide girth and everything they made for him looked like a sack.

Comment

Not really O.P no!! We never was rich enough to shop in dear places as so - it was like BHS, C&A or bust Though in later years (we had a long running family joke) my Grandad had a personal agreement/the gift of the gab in he could/would talk the local Greenwoods Manager into any reasonable discount possible (though of course it was denied it was easily 100%) as that is the kind of guy my Grandad was for harkering a deal of any description ... be it on a suit at Greenwoods or even if say there was a minor paint defect on a Car he'd go for leather at arguing the price down with either the Manager or the Highest authority in the shop etc at the time! I guess I have inherited that in a way ... fun memories indeed!

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
            Not really O.P no!! We never was rich enough to shop in dear places as so - it was like BHS, C&A or bust
            80sChav
            LOL!
            I wouldn't say that Mr Byrite was dear: 10 quid for a sweater in the mid 1980s?
            Then again, Primark is probably cheaper - But I wouldn't be seen dead buying their stuff...

Anyone else remember seeing this on telly?

Last edited by agfagaevart; 19-05-2015, 13:08.

Comment

Round my way we are blessed to still have a few extremley good gentlemen's shop's that have lasted from the 70s (if not before) and these are not just Older Men's Shop's with Shirts, Blazers etc - they sell real qaulity going out stuff like Stone Island etc that you'd really wear in nice posh establishments/hotels etc

I hope they still carrie on to continue and survive - as these are real good places in my opinion (even if they are very dear) asone nr me who sells Vivenne Westward (which obviously is)!

80sChav

Comment

Use to get clothes from Burton. Do they still exist?
                Now I prefer M&S.

Comment

Burton still exist - they are basically a male version of Dorothy Perkins, aren't they? - they are owned by the same group.

One that springs to mind is Foster Menswear - an advert in a daily newspaper happened to be the final one to offer flares for sale.
                  I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                  There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post

Use to get clothes from Burton. Do they still exist?
                    Now I prefer M&S.
                    Same here.
                    When I was younger it was Burton. Now that I am older; it's M&S.

Comment

C&A, the Oxford Street branch. Also very vaguely Woolworths, they used to have the ladybird range of clothes for small children, I had a blue dressing gown with chunky ladybird buttons, that really is going back to the dim and distant past!

Comment

Working...
                      X