No announcement yet.

80's songs you never hear on the radio these days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just heard a corker of a song - Hazel Dean with Who's Leaving Who that is never played on the Radio but was on a Supermarket one today

Up with Niki Kershaw for the Men she is the most un-erated Singer of the 80s ever

I had a great CD I used to play before we got nother Car with no CD Player in of Stock, Aitkn and Waterman .... and Hazer has a few hits on there - but tbh all the Songs S.A.W had never got true credit and still never really don Radio

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
      Just heard a corker of a song - Hazel Dean with Who's Leaving Who that is never played on the Radio but was on a Supermarket one today

Up with Niki Kershaw for the Men she is the most un-erated Singer of the 80s ever

I had a great CD I used to play before we got nother Car with no CD Player in of Stock, Aitkn and Waterman .... and Hazer has a few hits on there - but tbh all the Songs S.A.W had never got true credit and still never really don Radio
      Yes it's a good song, I certainly liked it when it was in the charts.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

You know, when one finds old C90s recorded in around 1984 from Radio 1 or commercial radio that has that week's Top 40 on it, and there are one or two songs it that have a scorching tune, but one cannot remember the title, or who had sung it, and of course, the pause button is pressed before the DJ has a chance to announce who it is?

I often think of music from that time that never get played, and when Pick of the Pops do 1984 or a similar year, I rack my brains to think whether it could have been in that week's chart but it was six months off. Or of course, it was in the same week's chart, but someone like Paul Cappuccino (or however is surname is spelt) deliberately overlooked it to go onto the next chart position because it was too obscure, hence no one played it outside its year of origin. It's like Milk and Money's Hallelujah - the 1979 winner of the Eurovision Song Contest winner for Israel which was in a POTP chart for that year - I correctly guessed it was in that chart when it featured on that programme 2016, but lo and behold, Tony Blackburn just gave it a brief mention and moved on to the next song, probably mentioning time limits as a reason for not playing it.

If it's too obscure then there is a reason why isn't played very often, and the chances are, don't expect it to be played anytime soon either.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
          Whatever happened to Hazell "with two Ls" Dean who had a few hits in the mid to late 1980s? Not to be confused with Hazel Grove in Greater Manchester.

One of her songs from 1984 (and quite appropriate for Valentine's Day) was Searchin' (I Gotta Find A Man) and those singles must have a lot of dust on them if and radio stations still have them. Not radio but it was played on TOTP2. The introduction to the song (as well as the musical interlude) sounds so much like the Clothes Show theme tune - I bet thet the same composer was responsible for both.

You will find the odd obscure song played in places like Matalan, TK Maxx, Home Bargains and so on as you wait to pay for your shopping at the checkout - I assume that it could be a Performing Rights Society issue as a lot of those songs are not played on Radio 2 or elsewhere.
          Last edited by George 1978; 14-02-2023, 17:52.
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I remember the Poundworld near to me used to always seemed to be playing lesser remembered songs from the 1980s.

Comment

Hearing Tracey Ullman's They Don't Know in Matalan when I was about to pay for my items sometime in the 2000s ago really got me excited for some reason.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                Hearing Tracey Ullman's They Don't Know in Matalan when I was about to pay for my items sometime in the 2000s ago really got me excited for some reason.
                I really like that song, but they usually play Breakaway when they need to play one of her songs.

Comment

Sunglasses was also one of Ullman's hits, and that is even rarer on the radio - last time I heard it was when Pick of the Pops did a 1984 chart in the late 2000s, and thankfully, they didn't skip it. Because of that, I always think of her as a singer rather than a comedienne.

Mind you, I think that it was what NOW 80s and YT were both invented for...
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Another one I heard yesterday 5 Star "Rain or Shine" .... it always was a cattchy song - I only knew until about a year back the lines "caught in a Million Miles" upon hearing it once in 1986 and it taking me so so long to establish it

Another one too is Nik kershaw - I wont Let The Sun Go Down On Me - he was very underated singer in my book and I am so pleased he finaly got a Number one (one which way or the other) by writing I Am The One And Only for the equaly un-erated Chesney Hawks ..... who I believe in turn that Chesney on Coronation St is named after!

Comment

• Nik Kershaw, Howard Jones - they both remind me of Sunday lunchtimes in 1984, listening to the charts on the radio.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                      X