No announcement yet.

Lyrics you always mis-heard but didn't know it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I left school the song "Money's Too Tight to Mention" by Simply Red was released. With their being a recession on at the time it was highly topical. "I got laid off from work, my rent is due, my kids all need brand new shoes". I honestly used to think that last bit was "A kid sold me brand new shoes".
    "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

I used to think "When Smokey Sings" by ABC was called "When Smoke Ascends" at one time.
      "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

I suppose the reason why bands and artists often print the lyrics of their songs underneath their album covers is to avoid confusion as to what they're actually singing about.

Comment

good

Comment

i always wondered what "stop and veal" was about.
            It mentions Dolevera, Basil Dolevera the cricket bloke was in the news around the time.

Comment

I think a classic example of a song where you have to really strain your ears to hear what the lyrics are is "Emotional Rescue" by the Rolling Stones. One line of it apparently says "Don't you know promises were never meant to keep?". At least that's what it's translated as online. To me it sounds just like "Your juvenile promises were never meant to keep", in fact I'd go so far as to say I don't see how Mick could be singing anything else but that, although the first line does make more sense grammatically.

Comment

Until recently I had absolutely no idea that I was mishearing the lyrics in "Heaven Must Be Missing an Angel" by the Tavares. I was absolutely convinced that one line of it said "I want all I can get of your sexy legs" when actually it was "I want all I can get of your sexiness"

Comment

The Bangles and Manic Monday always spring/sprang to my mind - as when they said "the boss is already there", I was certain they said "Bus" and more so given missing the Train a and "even if I had an Areoplane I'd still not get there on time"!!

Comment

Originally posted by streamplotx View Post
                    The Bangles and Manic Monday always spring/sprang to my mind - as when they said "the boss is already there", I was certain they said "Bus" and more so given missing the Train a and "even if I had an Areoplane I'd still not get there on time"!!
                    I've been thinking it was bus for years!
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I thought it was bus as well.

When Wrigley's Spearmint Gum used Free's Alright Now in their adverts in the early to mid 1990s (the American-themed one where a guy gets left behind at a service station after stepping off a bus), it sounds like they are singing "let's move before they raise the Park and Ride" or something.
                      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by philipdalton View Post
                        I used to think "When Smokey Sings" by ABC was called "When Smoke Ascends" at one time.
                        Or "smoking your sins".
                        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                        X