My Dads Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Dads Cars

Regarding Top Gear, I largely gave up on it when it stopped being a show about "real" cars and driving issues and just became a show for JC and mates to muck about, almost a comedy show really. I remember the old shows with, I think, William Woolard as presenter--that was a serious show where you could actually learn something.

About the BL cars...agreed that there was some good engineering, but they had so many industrial problems in the 70s and 80s that the company became a source for derision, which really hurt it. So many comedians made jokes about them back then.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
      Regarding Top Gear, I largely gave up on it when it stopped being a show about "real" cars and driving issues and just became a show for JC and mates to muck about, almost a comedy show really. I remember the old shows with, I think, William Woolard as presenter--that was a serious show where you could actually learn something.
      Is there a name for this type of TV programme? I call it a pseudocomedy.

Comment

My dad had a Reliant Regal, Hillman Imp, Ford Anglia, Vauxhall Viva, Vauxhall Cavalier, then another Cavalier, then some kind of (not very classic) Rover, then a VW Polo.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
          Is there a name for this type of TV programme? I call it a pseudocomedy.

My son was watching some old episodes of Top Gear with JC recently. If I remember correctly he and his mates were transporting old 4X4s up a mountain somewhere in South America. I just couldn't see the point. They were just mucking about to no obvious purpose. It just baffles me what people see in the programme now.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare View Post
            My dad had a Reliant Regal, Hillman Imp, Ford Anglia, Vauxhall Viva, Vauxhall Cavalier, then another Cavalier, then some kind of (not very classic) Rover, then a VW Polo.

Two of my uncles had Vivas: one had a 1969 model and the other a 1976 model.

The one with the 1969 Viva traded it in for a 1972 Triumph Toledo in the mid-late 70s. I remember him having so much trouble with it. If anyone knows that steep hill leading out of Aberystwyth with the University on it...well, my uncle was coming up it in his Toledo and the thing was playing up. He was literally crawling along and was actually overtaken by a guy on a pushbike.

Comment

My Dad had a Hillman Imp too. Recall we would all pack into it and drive to the nearby National Park for a weekend picnic. They were happy days. I lost my Dad a few years later then my brother and I were shipped off to a boarding school.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                My dad has had a lada and a ford capri.
                Any car he has had has been 2nd hand.

I know he has had others just cant think of them.
                We had both these Daz mate - rather my Mum the lada's and before that my Dad the Capri!

Phew that was a beauty that Capri - a pile of old rubbish, but owning that and then seeing Alfie whisk Kat off into Xmas Night in EastEnders years later proves the magic of such Beasts!

Comment

The family cars I can remember:

Morris Minor Series MM (split windscreen) - my dad still has this and just got it back on the road, been off the road since the early 80s.
                  Ford Cortina MK1
                  Humber Hawk - this was my grandad's car which we had when he couldn't drive anymore
                  Vauxhall Viva - given to us by a family friend
                  Ford Anglia Estate - my mum's car for a while
                  Granada Ghia - this turned out to be three cars welded together
                  LWB Land Rover (ex army)
                  Daimler Double Six (1970s version)
                  1982 Bedford Astra Van
                  1987 Bedford Astra Van

Have many great memories of each, we'd sometimes have three in the driveway at once and as kids we'd sit in them and play, no need to lock them as nobody nicked them back then.

Comment

My Old Man Had This 1970's Capri when he was younger in the early 80's he paid 400 quid for it., sadly this ford capri is no longer with us as my old man had to have it it scraped in the early 90's.

as some old woman reversed her car in it .

Attached Files

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

And These Are Our Car's & Bikes we have had over the years .

Attached Files

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

Originally posted by onthebusesfan View Post
                        My Old Man Had This 1970's Capri when he was younger in the early 80's he paid 400 quid for it., sadly this ford capri is no longer with us as my old man had to have it it scraped in the early 90's.

as some old woman reversed her car in it .

iS THIS PHOTO THE ACTUAL COLLISION?
                        Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                          iS THIS PHOTO THE ACTUAL COLLISION?
                          No That Photo It Is Just After It Happened My Old Man Drove It Back To My Nans.

Comment

When I met my ex he had a gold capri like the one Terry had in Minder lol

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                              When I met my ex he had a gold capri like the one Terry had in Minder lol
                              Think Terry's was white

Comment

Originally posted by onthebusesfan View Post
                                No That Photo It Is Just After It Happened My Old Man Drove It Back To My Nans.
                                Oh,bet you couldn't get a sheet of paper between the two cars

Comment

Working...
                                X