Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 35 of 35

Thread: My Dads Cars

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    927

    Default Re: My Dads Cars

    Regarding Top Gear, I largely gave up on it when it stopped being a show about "real" cars and driving issues and just became a show for JC and mates to muck about, almost a comedy show really. I remember the old shows with, I think, William Woolard as presenter--that was a serious show where you could actually learn something.

    About the BL cars...agreed that there was some good engineering, but they had so many industrial problems in the 70s and 80s that the company became a source for derision, which really hurt it. So many comedians made jokes about them back then.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    568

    Default Re: My Dads Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    Regarding Top Gear, I largely gave up on it when it stopped being a show about "real" cars and driving issues and just became a show for JC and mates to muck about, almost a comedy show really. I remember the old shows with, I think, William Woolard as presenter--that was a serious show where you could actually learn something.
    Is there a name for this type of TV programme? I call it a pseudocomedy.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: My Dads Cars

    My dad had a Reliant Regal, Hillman Imp, Ford Anglia, Vauxhall Viva, Vauxhall Cavalier, then another Cavalier, then some kind of (not very classic) Rover, then a VW Polo.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    927

    Default Re: My Dads Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Arran View Post
    Is there a name for this type of TV programme? I call it a pseudocomedy.



    My son was watching some old episodes of Top Gear with JC recently. If I remember correctly he and his mates were transporting old 4X4s up a mountain somewhere in South America. I just couldn't see the point. They were just mucking about to no obvious purpose. It just baffles me what people see in the programme now.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    927

    Default Re: My Dads Cars

    Quote Originally Posted by Clare View Post
    My dad had a Reliant Regal, Hillman Imp, Ford Anglia, Vauxhall Viva, Vauxhall Cavalier, then another Cavalier, then some kind of (not very classic) Rover, then a VW Polo.


    Two of my uncles had Vivas: one had a 1969 model and the other a 1976 model.

    The one with the 1969 Viva traded it in for a 1972 Triumph Toledo in the mid-late 70s. I remember him having so much trouble with it. If anyone knows that steep hill leading out of Aberystwyth with the University on it...well, my uncle was coming up it in his Toledo and the thing was playing up. He was literally crawling along and was actually overtaken by a guy on a pushbike.

Similar Threads

  1. Key cars
    By Powdered toast man in forum Toys
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-04-2012, 15:14
  2. Dads Army
    By FX02 in forum Board games
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-04-2012, 00:27
  3. My two dads
    By Trickyvee in forum Television
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-06-2011, 20:10
  4. Dads old toy shop finds.
    By themaskofangel in forum Toys
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 16:19
  5. key cars
    By landsmith2001 in forum Toys
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 09:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •