Trains and your stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trains and your stories

I've had a an interest in trains since 1976. I used to travel a lot by train, far too expensive now.

I've a couple of lovely childhood memories, this being one.

In 1981, there was rail work going on at Porth station. The line was being singled between there and Treherbert. The Meardy branch was still being used for coal trains. The layout at Porth station was being altered. I had to go down to have a look. There was an engineering train there, with a class 37 at one end. Work for the day was coming to an end. The locomotive had to be couple up the other end of the train. At the time, I had asked to have a look in the cab. Permission was granted. While I was in the cab and the second-man showing me the cab controls etc, the driver got into the cab. "We've got clearance to Pontypridd and back."
    Thinking my time in the cab was over, I duly said "I better jump out."
    The driver looked at me "Don't you want a cab ride to Pontypridd and back?" He then grinned.
    My face lit up like the midday sun. "Yes please!"
    The second-man said he would go to the other cab, so I sat in the second-man's seat.
    The three mile journey was something else. A view from the drivers cab!
    At Pontypridd, the locomotive was then to run back to Porth. This would then take it to the other end of the waggons. I was a little worried has this meant going from one cab to the other. When I got out of the cab, what if I could not reach the cab hand rails from the ground? This worry immediately evaporated when I found out what we were going to do; WALK ALONG THE WALKWAY THROUGH THE LOCOMOTIVE NEXT TO THE ENGINE ITSELF!!!!! I will never forget the noise. Into the other cab and a three mile journey back to Porth. At Porth, I said my thanks and how great the ride was. I watched them couple up the locomotive, and watched the train work wrong line out of Porth. It was a day to remember.

This was long before the PC and "Elf'n'safety" zealots had their way. Even for a child to ask "Can I have a look in the cab?" the killjoys will pounce. I'm glad I was growing up then, not now.
    Last edited by marc; 31-05-2015, 12:15.
    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

I always loved travelling by train. Those older trains with the slam shut doors were ideal when you wanted to jump on as the train was pulling away from the platform. Of course nowadays the carriage doors are electronically locked before the train pulls away
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
        I always loved travelling by train. Those older trains with the slam shut doors were ideal when you wanted to jump on as the train was pulling away from the platform. Of course nowadays the carriage doors are electronically locked before the train pulls away
        Not the same electronic doors.You have to go on the steam trains for slamming doors

Comment

Very true Amethyst - we have the Swanage Steam Railway here in Dorset & I know you'll just love it
          sigpic
          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
            Very true Amethyst - we have the Swanage Steam Railway here in Dorset & I know you'll just love it
            On my list then for steam trains,we will be going on the Dean Forest lydney steam train next

Comment

When i was much younger i loved going by train to likes of bangor,portrush etc.
              One thing i loved is u went thru places where only the train could take you.
              Sitting by the window looking out and going thru tunnels was /is fun.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Sitting in the long carriages with the sliding doors,with the corridor to walk through.Those netting racks above to put your cases on.Those metal button things on the back of the head rests.

Comment

Oh god yes thats right the long corridors with the sliding doors its one thing u never see now.
                  U had a combination of both those with the sliding doors and also the normal seats without the doors.

I often wondered why they had them with sliding doors.

I often on long train journeys sat in the seats behind them doors it was far quieter sitting in them and i felt important sitting in them.

The trains just had a nice smell to them too.

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                  sitting in the long carriages with the sliding doors,with the corridor to walk through.those netting racks above to put your cases on.those metal button things on the back of the head rests.

Comment

The long carriages were ideal for a family to be together.I remember maybe when I was 6 going on a train to visit my great Aunt there were about 8 of us in the carriage 4 one side and 4 the opposite.Some trains had doors to get in and out of the train in the carriage hence on a hot day window down and look out

Comment

I remember sitting in them going on long journeys to the seaside trains where great to travel in back then.
                      The journey in the train was just as enjoyable as the place u where going to was.
                      I would go on the train in july for the band parades.

They where not just for families where they mate.

I just thought they where so classy the way u could shut the doors to keep the noise out etc.

the long carriages were ideal for a family to be together.i remember maybe when i was 6 going on a train to visit my great aunt there were about 8 of us in the carriage 4 one side and 4 the opposite.some trains had doors to get in and out of the train in the carriage hence on a hot day window down and look out

Comment

It was more relaxing travelling in those days.compared with rush rush rush shoving and pushing to find a seat these days

Comment

I always felt going on a train was kinda up market way to travel you could sit on the soft seat or go into the others where you pulled the door across.

I loved the smell of the trains too.

Im sure back in the eighties i went on steam trains.

it was more relaxing travelling in those days.compared with rush rush rush shoving and pushing to find a seat these days

Comment

Slam door trains in south London and the southern counties of England. In the last year or so that they were used Waterloo station announced slam door trains on their electronic notice boards so that enthusiasts waiting in the concourse could find them.

Merseyrail trains on the Wirral Line as they go under the Mersey between James Street and Hamilton Square stations.

Comment

I remember around 1973 or so we went on holiday on a train, probably to Great Yarmouth. There was my mom, dad, me, my aunt and uncle, and my cousin. I think we had a compartment to ourselves and we were given blankets and pillows so we could sleep. We also took our car on the train and each time we went round a bend we would look out to see if we could see it.

From 1984 to 1987 I commuted by train to university each week-day. The trains were all slam door type that were used on that route. I remember the feeling of relief on freezing winter days when the wind was biting on that platform, seeing the train pulling up as it was always warm inside.

Comment

When i was younger me and my uncle would go to scarva by train which is about 5 or six miles from where i live.

Wed go there every 12 th of july for the annual band parades trains would be full to bursting.
                                Almost impossible to move.

Comment

Working...
                                X