Trains and your stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trains and your stories

I think the slam door trains were changed to sliding door ones around 1991/1992 in our area. I caught a train from Victoria to Rochester in late 1999 and was surprised to see that on that route slam doors were still being used.

Comment

Slam door trains were still in regular use this side of the Millennium in the southern counties of England. They were electric multiples that were powered by live rails. Almost all of the railways radiating out from Victoria, Waterloo, and Cannon Street stations serving south London, Surrey, Sussex, Kent, Hampshire, and parts of Dorset are electrified using live rails.

Comment

Many trains between Marple & Manchester were slam door until as late as 2003.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

The sliding door trains I used in the early 90s would have been diesel. It is only now that they are electrifying the line by us.

Comment

I was watching a new series on tv Paul Merton going round the Uk on trains stopping at the requests stops it was good

Comment

I saw the Merton programme as well and thought it was very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                I saw the Merton programme as well and thought it was very interesting.
                Looking forward to next weeks episode

Comment

Anybody remember the Class 487 trains on the Waterloo & City Line when it was run by British Rail? They were built in 1940 and replaced in 1993.

They are both retro and modern in appearance for a train built in 1940 with the Southern Railway air vents and the glass light shades.

If only the BR Southern Region could have used a similar design for the trains it built in the 1950s instead of the slam door trains we ended up with based on some Southern Railway design from the 1920s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_487

Comment

I remember the Southend fenchurch st line had the old carriages with the individual compartments with their own doors, one each end which opened to the outside, i.e no corridor. That was on the late 80s/early 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                      I remember the Southend fenchurch st line had the old carriages with the individual compartments with their own doors, one each end which opened to the outside, i.e no corridor. That was on the late 80s/early 90s.
                      Known at the time as the Misery Line. There was even a proposal to rip up the tracks and turn it into a road then run a coach service. It eventually got upgraded with modern trains.

Comment

I remember going to East Croydon in 2003 from Victoria & the trains were like ones from the 1950s.

Class 487 were often seen on TV & films due to the fact the Waterloo & City line didn't run at the weekend, & was easier to rent out as a location than a tube station.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                          On my list then for steam trains,we will be going on the Dean Forest lydney steam train next
                          Used to live in FoD in the 70's where I went to Abenhall (now Dean Magna) High School. This was in Mitcheldean where for a year we lived in a company (Rank Xerox) rented house. RX were the main FoD employer where whole families worked there. The unions finally killed the "Golden Goose" employer RX was demanding too much. RX paid well over the average but the likes of Arthur Scargill were never happy wanting more & more thus killing the "Golden Goose" RX were.

We eventually moved to Cinderford after Dad bought some land in English Bicknor to self build. He gained planning permission only to realise he had been to ambitious the daft sod my Dad is lol
                          sigpic
                          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Have you been on the Watercress line Hants Twocky?

Comment

went to london on a school trip in the early 80s. going there was no problem. on the journey home was a different matter. one of the apt 125's was the train taking us back. something went wrong. it tilted and stayed that way. 5 hours later we got home at 3am.

Comment

Saw a programme about The Flying Scotsman which had been restored,it was running on The Seven Valley Railway Line

Comment

Working...
                                X