Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trains and your stories

I couldnt find a section on trains so I decided to start one

I have always loved to travel by train something so different about it.I hate going on coaches stuck in traffic motorways,takes forever to get to your destination.Much more relaxing by train.I remember in the old days when boys would be on stations taking numbers of the trains arriving at the station stop.
    The excitement of waiting for your train to arrive even now I am like a big kid she,s here at last.Opening the doors rushing to get a window seat.Then waiting for the guard to blow his whistle at last were on our way bliss.

Re: Trains and your stories

I used to go on a lot of rail trips as my dad likes trains & me & my brother were members of Rail Riders, so we could get cheap tickets.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I used to belong to the school railway club, and you could go on the trips if you occasionally hung around on Fridays to play with Mr Read's model trains.

Comment

My earliest memory of train travel is a trip on a local train before the arrival of the Tyne and Wear metro system in 1980. For years I thought I had imagined it until an old photo revealed the tatty old 'proper' train of my memory on those lines.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

i remember when i was a child going to the steam museum in swindon.......a truely amazing day spent with my dad

Comment

NICE IDEA FOR A THREAD MATE.

I DONT USE TAINS MUCH NOWAS THEY ARE SO EXPNSIVE but as a kid i loved going on trains alwys got a window seat u get to see places u dont normally get to see by any other transport the scenery can be fantastic so much has changed and for the worse but trains not so much well ustill have the fella who asks u for your ticket etc.

when i went to the each we often ook trains as its quicker.

ok u dont see steam trains as much now.

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
            I couldnt find a section on trains so I decided to start one

I have always loved to travel by train something so different about it.I hate going on coaches stuck in traffic motorways,takes forever to get to your destination.Much more relaxing by train.I remember in the old days when boys would be on stations taking numbers of the trains arriving at the station stop.
            The excitement of waiting for your train to arrive even now I am like a big kid she,s here at last.Opening the doors rushing to get a window seat.Then waiting for the guard to blow his whistle at last were on our way bliss.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by shilton dipper View Post
              i remember when i was a child going to the steam museum in swindon.......a truely amazing day spent with my dad
              We went to the Swindon works 2 years ago it was great

The national railway museum in York is brill cause its free

I love steam trains

Comment

so modern trains may go faster than steam ones but steam ones have a certain grandness about them that modern trains dont have but yes trains travelling that way is just magic.
                be a sad day if it was done away with.

sounds like u had a great time mate.

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                We went to the Swindon works 2 years ago it was great

The national railway museum in York is brill cause its free

I love steam trains

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                  so modern trains may go faster than steam ones but steam ones have a certain grandness about them that modern trains dont have but yes trains travelling that way is just magic.
                  be a sad day if it was done away with.

sounds like u had a great time mate.
                  Yes there is something magical about steam trains love them

Do you remember the old nestles chocolate machines they had on stations,the orange and milk drinks in small cartons,the platform ticket mahines,the mail and parcel trollies,

The old waiting rooms with the victorian fireplaces.

The old carriages with sliding doors,the small windows opening both sides

Comment

I remember going on the APT on its first public run of 1984.The first runs being stopped after a few days in 1981.

Comment

As my grandfather used to be a train fitter, my family could go on rail journeys far cheaper than other paying customers so we used to go on the trains a lot. I remember joining a club being run by British Rail for children but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called - Rail Riders or something like that? You used to get badges and a magazine through the post.

Comment

I used to travel to School on three trains, well, to be precise, two trains and a Underground train, around 1979-1981, many memories, good and bad.

Comment

trains are always my fave way to travel though now they are expensive.

i used to go to newcastle on the train but that line no longer is used but still exists.

i mean newcastle co down lol
                          its a real beautiful town a place close to my heart.

its fun cause on a train you often go through places u cant otherwise get to.

id often go to scarva only 5 miles from where i live to see the band parades its always packed out rain or sun.

quite often go to bangor or portrush as well they have great beaches.
                          bangor does not have a beach now it was done away with. gggrrr

Comment

It is always nice on the train your not stuck in traffic queues its more relaxing way to travel.You dont know what you might see as you look out of the window

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                              trains are always my fave way to travel though now they are expensive.

i used to go to newcastle on the train but that line no longer is used but still exists.

i mean newcastle co down lol
                              its a real beautiful town a place close to my heart.

its fun cause on a train you often go through places u cant otherwise get to.

id often go to scarva only 5 miles from where i live to see the band parades its always packed out rain or sun.

quite often go to bangor or portrush as well they have great beaches.
                              bangor does not have a beach now it was done away with. gggrrr
                              Portrush is nice and has a Good golf course too

Rarely use trains but we did once decide to get the train from Northampton to Skegness which is a 2.5 hour drive and it took almost double that with three changes - always drive now easier and much cheaper
                              Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

Working...
                              X