Seaside memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seaside memories

Rhyl, Llandudno, Aberystwyth, Clarach Bay and Towyn were towns we spent our week's holiday in when I was growing up, almost always in a caravan. Things that I remember from those days include:

Seeing the donkeys being brought onto the beach and choosing which one to ride on--all those I saw had their names on their bridles.

Eating fish and chips on the sea wall--they seemed to taste better at the seaside.

Building sand castles on the beach, digging big holes and trying to fill them with sea water.

Choosing postcards from those racks outside shops. Just the simple pleasure of reading the cheeky cartoon ones and not really understanding them when you were very young.

Your mom or dad holding a towel around you as you changed into swimming trunks on the beach.

Exploring rock pools to see what creatures were there and finding jellyfish on the beach.

Sitting at the edge of the beach and letting the sea lap around you.

The smell of sea salt and seaweed on the beach. The smell of candy floss, chips, burgers on the front.

The sounds of sea birds while you played on the beach and the warmth of the sand on your feet.

Playing the machines in the amusement arcades and women sitting at those bingo boards that lit up.

The excitement at your first glimpse of the sea as you got closer to your destination.

Going to the camp shop to get a paper for your dad early in the morning.

Playing with kids on the beach, knowing you would probably never see them again.

So many great memories......

Comment

Caravan hols in Oxwich Bay in Wales (the Gower peninsula) and St. Oseth
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Cant disagree there many times i remember sitting on the beach as the sun went down watching the waves come in the smell of the seaweed.
        Sometimes id be sitting on top of the sand dunes too with the golf course running along beside it.

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
        you cannot beat peace & tranquility cant abide noise and drunken behaviour
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I agree completely. A walk on the beach early morning...the sun just coming up and no-one in sight...just the sound of the waves and sea birds...the sand smooth and clear of footprints...just wonderful

Comment

Nice picture darren

Comment

Most of my summer holidays as a youngun were near the seaside at Holiday Camps, Camber Sands, Caister, etc. Lots of happy memories playing in the sand dunes and stuff.

As I got older I got more interested in the Arcades than the beach, we lived quite near Southend-on-Sea so I could go there quite a bit to visit the arcades.

I'm not much of a beach person now, which is a shame as there are some amazing beaches here in Australia.

Comment

Sunday School trip to the seaside,head straight for the beach change into your bathing costume,go into the sea build sand castles,have sausage and chips for lunch,an ice cream to follow,Then head to the fun fair that would open at 2pm and stay there until 6pm where the crowds would head back to the coach park,have a sing song on the way home.

Comment

Memories specific to Rhyl in the 80s, many also relevant to earlier decades...

The fun fair at the bridge end of the town, next to the coach park. I remember particularly the ghost train.

the water trough for the donkeys close to where the toilets were--not sure if they are there now.

At the top end of the town, not far from the lifeboat station, was a small lake on which there were radio-controlled boats. Put a coin in a machine and you could control the boat. Also, nearby, was a concrete area where you could hire a bike and ride around a course. There were lots of different bikes and you could change as much as you liked. The place also had a special area for very young kids where there were smaller 3-wheeler bikes and pedal cars.

Still on the beach side of the main road running through Rhyl was a small fair. I remember you had to go down steps to it and there were maybe 5 or 6 different things. Trampolenes, small electric cars and so forth. You had to buy tokens at a booth to use a car or trampolene etc.

A Punch and Judy man would put on shows by the clock.

The RAF were sometimes there on the front with various displays. I remember seeing a Harrier and Jaguar there, plus the front end of a Buccaneer and you could sit in the cockpit seat.

The Sun Centre, a glass paneled swimming pool. Never went in there as I much preferred the beach and sea.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                    Most of my summer holidays as a youngun were near the seaside at Holiday Camps, Camber Sands, Caister, etc. Lots of happy memories playing in the sand dunes and stuff.

As I got older I got more interested in the Arcades than the beach, we lived quite near Southend-on-Sea so I could go there quite a bit to visit the arcades.

I'm not much of a beach person now, which is a shame as there are some amazing beaches here in Australia.
                    This sounds similar to when I lived nr the Coast in the 90s Mulletino! Though by then Seaside Resorts here had hit their worst point in terms of entering their declines - but yeah, sure I had similar memories, as doing similar with mates at secondary School (thin Tie n warps and all) and nipping into Arcades by wagging it for an Afternoon Lol. I hope you got my last PM btw?

Comment

I forgot about the boating lakes

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                        I hope you got my last PM btw?
                        Yeah, your inbox is full so I can't reply mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                          Yeah, your inbox is full so I can't reply mate.
                          Right you are - will attend to it!

Be ace to share some more seaside if you have any Mullentino m8!

Comment

Working...
                          X