Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seaside memories

Default Re: Seaside memories

Most of my summer holidays as a youngun were near the seaside at Holiday Camps, Camber Sands, Caister, etc. Lots of happy memories playing in the sand dunes and stuff.

As I got older I got more interested in the Arcades than the beach, we lived quite near Southend-on-Sea so I could go there quite a bit to visit the arcades.

I'm not much of a beach person now, which is a shame as there are some amazing beaches here in Australia.

Sunday School trip to the seaside,head straight for the beach change into your bathing costume,go into the sea build sand castles,have sausage and chips for lunch,an ice cream to follow,Then head to the fun fair that would open at 2pm and stay there until 6pm where the crowds would head back to the coach park,have a sing song on the way home.

Memories specific to Rhyl in the 80s, many also relevant to earlier decades...

The fun fair at the bridge end of the town, next to the coach park. I remember particularly the ghost train.

the water trough for the donkeys close to where the toilets were--not sure if they are there now.

At the top end of the town, not far from the lifeboat station, was a small lake on which there were radio-controlled boats. Put a coin in a machine and you could control the boat. Also, nearby, was a concrete area where you could hire a bike and ride around a course. There were lots of different bikes and you could change as much as you liked. The place also had a special area for very young kids where there were smaller 3-wheeler bikes and pedal cars.

Still on the beach side of the main road running through Rhyl was a small fair. I remember you had to go down steps to it and there were maybe 5 or 6 different things. Trampolenes, small electric cars and so forth. You had to buy tokens at a booth to use a car or trampolene etc.

A Punch and Judy man would put on shows by the clock.

The RAF were sometimes there on the front with various displays. I remember seeing a Harrier and Jaguar there, plus the front end of a Buccaneer and you could sit in the cockpit seat.

The Sun Centre, a glass paneled swimming pool. Never went in there as I much preferred the beach and sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletino View Post
    Most of my summer holidays as a youngun were near the seaside at Holiday Camps, Camber Sands, Caister, etc. Lots of happy memories playing in the sand dunes and stuff.

As I got older I got more interested in the Arcades than the beach, we lived quite near Southend-on-Sea so I could go there quite a bit to visit the arcades.

I'm not much of a beach person now, which is a shame as there are some amazing beaches here in Australia.
    This sounds similar to when I lived nr the Coast in the 90s Mulletino! Though by then Seaside Resorts here had hit their worst point in terms of entering their declines - but yeah, sure I had similar memories, as doing similar with mates at secondary School (thin Tie n warps and all) and nipping into Arcades by wagging it for an Afternoon Lol. I hope you got my last PM btw?

I forgot about the boating lakes

Quote Originally Posted by 80sChav View Post
    I hope you got my last PM btw?
    Yeah, your inbox is full so I can't reply mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletino View Post
    Yeah, your inbox is full so I can't reply mate.
    Right you are - will attend to it!

Be ace to share some more seaside if you have any Mullentino m8!