Old Sports Shops that used to be on the scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Sports Shops that used to be on the scene

Can other members recall old Sports Shops that sold every Football Shirt imaginable (and more) before the likes of JJB took over the monopoly! Where I used to live nr the Coast we had lots of shops in the Coastal towns like I mentioned. They where the the type of shops you could spend hours in looking at not just Football Shirts but Cricket Bats, other Sports equipment too.

It would be great if any other members had any recollections etc of these shops to share

80sChav

Re: Old Sports Shops that used to be on the scene

Lillywhites & Olympus Sports were my favorites

Comment

Marple where I grew up had one run by a Noel Gill (his son was in the same class as my brother at school), which had an interesting selection of equipment.

Stockport also had a few smaller shops, one seemed to be the only place to buy games shirts for my secondary school.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

we had one called inter sport it was a huge shop 2 floors it disappeared in the mid nineties.

i remember buying a big gym from them.

one day it was there one day it wasnt no warning it was closing up.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
          we had one called inter sport it was a huge shop 2 floors it disappeared in the mid nineties.

What a great recollection of InterSport Darren! Until recently we had 2 near me (one in a small Town until a few years since and one in the next Town to me - which is quite a big Town). By total coincidence I might be down that very street tomorrow - I'll have to try to recall an see if it's still in existence any more as InterSport used to be really good I recall and had far superior quality to other Sports Shops I often used to find.

80sChav

Comment

I REMEMBER MINE BECAME the electric board shop but yes intersports colours where red white and blue if i remember right they sold everything sportswise they sold darts as well which where kept in a glass cage or something like that
            and they did a great trade still wonder why they closed.

did the 2 u had did they still do a big trade did u find why they closed up.

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
            What a great recollection of InterSport Darren! Until recently we had 2 near me (one in a small Town until a few years since and one in the next Town to me - which is quite a big Town). By total coincidence I might be down that very street tomorrow - I'll have to try to recall an see if it's still in existence any more as InterSport used to be really good I recall and had far superior quality to other Sports Shops I often used to find.

80sChav

Comment

Not quite sports but more outdoor pursuits, anyone remember "Famous Army Stores"?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi Knight View Post
                Not quite sports but more outdoor pursuits, anyone remember "Famous Army Stores"?
                Yes Stockport had one for many years.

I used to have a bag from there, it might still be around somewhere.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Dunno, we in Ossett had Slazenger Footballs, manufactured in my home town, so every kid had a Slazzy football. Huddersfield had football boots in the same way.

I remember Intersport as well. All I cared about was keeping me bike going.

Comment

Originally posted by Happymama View Post
                    Dunno, we in Ossett had Slazenger Footballs, manufactured in my home town, so every kid had a Slazzy football. Huddersfield had football boots in the same way.

I remember Intersport as well. All I cared about was keeping me bike going.

Sounds ace - as a Northern Lad "back in the day" I'd have been overwhelmed to visit such shops and of course still would if they still existed

I recall one Sports Shop in Scarborough (well 2 if truth be known) the later closing only about 5 years a-go - where both had every make of Tracksuit Bottoms, Full tracksuits, Football shirts and other porting equipment for any sport imaginable!

80sChav

Comment

2 others i never see are lifestyle sports and jd sports.
                      lifestyle sports ive not seen in a very long time.

i guess some close because of competition from other stores.

Comment

I worked for Olympus Sport for three years travelling around the country with the audit / security department. Another part the group (Sears Sport and Leisure ) was Olympus Outdoor World which were sports superstores scattered about the country selling everything from football kit to equestrian products. I spent much of my time in Thurrock (Lakeside) but I think there were about 15 stores at the time including Dudley and Croydon.. I had the privalige of meeting some fantastic people .... times I will always remember.

The group was the acquired by Sports Division and later by JJB who closed most of the stores down.
                        Last edited by Woodsie; 27-01-2021, 14:52.

Comment

InterSport came to mind for me as well - I wonder whether it was the shop which was advertised on local radio back in the 1980s with the Grandstand TV theme and a Des Lynam or David Coleman voiceover?
                          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Was racking my brains thinking of the local 'chain' sport shop we had in my town of Wilmslow. Inter Sport rings a bell. I remember the sporty 'stick man' first used at the '76 Olympics formed part of the shop logo/sign? There was also a one man band sport shop else where in the town called Billy Mcganns. They sold sports kit, school uniform for the local high schools, fishing kit, .22 air rifles and pistols and ...knives of all shapes and sizes including a 'Crocodile Dundee' bowie! Up until the mid 80's we also had an Umbro factory in the middle of the town.

Comment

Yep, I also remember it. It was a great one.

Comment

Working...
                              X