Wwf / wwe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wwf / wwe

I used to be a massive fan of WWF wrestling (still follow it now)

before anyone says it I know its acting (that is why I put this in TV and not sport)

tomorrow night is wrestlemania 30 and I remember watching wrestlemania 1

did you have a favourite wrestler - match - rivalry

My all time favourite was the ultimate warrior - loved his entrance and was so happy when he beat Hogan for the WWF title
    Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Re: Wwf / wwe

loved macho man randy savage when he was good he was machoman when he was macho king he was bad.

i think he died recentcly.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I just love pro wrestling in general, at least they admit that it's all fixed (unlike almost all sports which are fixed).
      I started off watching in the World Of Sport days, my favourites were Johnny Saint, Rollerball Rocco, Les Kellett & the Dynamite Kid, it used to be fast & technical, but when Big Daddy came in it was just belly bumps & flops.
      I first saw WWF & WCW in the late 80s, both promotions were phenomenal at best, & ridiculously terrible at their worst.
      I was never really a fan of the bigger guys like Warrior & Hogan, I loved Warrior's Promos & ring entrance, & Hogan was an amazing talker & a master of crowd manipulation, but as far as actual wrestling both were pretty terrible.
      In the WWF I always preferred people like Randy Savage, Ricky Steamboat, Mr Perfect, Owen & Bret, & Jake Roberts for his incredible psychology & presence.
      As the years went by I started watching pro wrestling from all over the world, Canada, Japan, Mexico, Puerto Rico, plus stuff from the past.
      These days I only watch WWE & TNA occasionally, mainly preferring to watch classic stuff from the 60s, 70s & 80s, & sometimes old B&W footage from much further back than that, I generally enjoy Japanese wrestling most these days.
      As much as I am interested in the actual matches, I am equally intrigued by the backstage politics, things have very much moved on from the "is it real ? is it fake" days.
      Well, it is fixed (i.e. predetermined outcomes, e.t.c.), but those bumps are very real, some of the worst injuries I have ever seen have come from pro wrestling.
      And Mick Foley is someone I almost idolise.

Some of the most talented wrestlers out there right now are from the UK, Wade Barrett has incredible potential in the WWE.
      Spud has finally found a place in TNA & Prince Devitt & PAC are constantly having some of the greatest matches you will ever witness.
      We also have the first ever British world champion right now, Magnus is the reigning TNA champ, hopefully this will open doors to other UK talent.
      Also Brittany Knight aka Paige from Norwich is definitely heading towards superstar status with WWE.

Some of the greatest entertainment I have ever seen has come from wrestling, but people either love it or hate it.
      I'm off to watch some Terry Funk matches.
      Last edited by DemonEyeX; 06-04-2014, 03:45.

Comment

The main match I remember was the cage fight between the Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hogan. It was the highlight of the wrestling year. What a let down. Big names....that is all. Both UK and American wrestling seems to be 60 per cent show,40 per cent gob and only 10 per cent blood and guts which is really all the front seat old lady's wanted to see.

Comment

i can remember watching wwf wrestling in 1990 on ch4 at 4am while feeding my baby...........really got into the wrestling then.

Comment

Originally posted by shilton dipper View Post
            i can remember watching wwf wrestling in 1990 on ch4 at 4am
            That would have more likely been WCW on an ITV region Shilton.
            World Of Sport showed the occasional WWF match in '87 & '88, but WWF wasn't on Channel 4 until 2000.
            However, WCW was on ITV in the middle of the night in the early '90s, so it was most likely that.

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
            The main match I remember was the cage fight between the Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hogan. It was the highlight of the wrestling year. What a let down. Big names....that is all.
            Yep, both good talkers (although Warrior was totally crazed), but the actual matches were always terrible.
            Out of the two, it was usually Hogan who had the better matches (in the 80s anyway), but that was always due to being carried by someone with far more wrestling talent.
            There are some very entertaining Hogan matches out there, but Warrior was probably at his best during his series with Rick Rude.

Also, in the "real" world, Hogan & Warrior still have a very serious ongoing fued.
            Both will be at tonights Wrestlemania, i'm sure that Warrior's WWE Hall Of Fame acceptance speech will be interesting.................

Comment

Originally posted by DemonEyeX View Post
              That would have more likely been WCW on an ITV region Shilton.
              World Of Sport showed the occasional WWF match in '87 & '88, but WWF wasn't on Channel 4 until 2000.
              However, WCW was on ITV in the middle of the night in the early '90s, so it was most likely that.
              Well, with some research I have found out that Central, Tyne Tees & Thames/LWT actually did air WWF shows late at night in the late '80s.
              I am guessing that you were in the Central region Shilton, so you may have possibly caught the last WWF shows before ITV switched to WCW programming.

Comment

my earliest memories are of the lead up to wrestlemania 1 which was shown on sky channel (sky 1 now)

I remember the main event of Hogan & Mr T vs Rowdy Roddy Piper and Mr wonderful Paul Orndorf there was also some all time greats on the bill that night Junkyard dog, Andre the Giant, Big john Stud but to name a few

i was hooked instantly and have been an avid fan ever since

favourite match of all time was Undertaker / Mankind - hell in a cell when mick foley got thrown off the top off the cage through the announcers table - acting or not that took (to steal a phrase from vince mcmahon) Intestinal fortitude

Comment

Just heard the sad news that the ultimate warrior has died today

As the undertaker would say .... Rest In Peace!

Comment

Awful news about The Ultimate Warrior, I didn't get to see him other than on old videos and albums/sticker books back in the day, the first proper event I saw him on was Wrestlemania 12 back in 1996 when he made his return. The guy was never my favourite but what an icon he was, he meant so much to so many people. It's a real shame the amount of guys who have passed, Ediie Guerrero, Randy Savage, Paul Bearer, Earthquake, Mr Perfect, Bigelow, Owen Hart, Bossman, Matt 'Doink the clown' Bourne, Chris Benoit, Andre. Now the Warrior, it's so sad.

Comment

A friend of my dads used to tape WWF for us when I was a kid. I used to like The Bushwackers and Jake the Snake. I always found the lower down stuff more entertaining than the higher up stuff. I always thought Hulk Hogan was a bit of a tit, even when I was young.

When I grew up a friend of mine had a big family ranging from grown ups to young kids, they were dead into it. They used to make nights of PPV's where we'd all go round, play videogames, eat pizza, get drunk and watch the wrestling. Good times. The 'Attitude' era was great. It was like a mens version of Eastenders, with slightly better storylines but milder violence.

I have a friend who watches it now and all he does it complain about it. I've not seen any for a good few years now, but apparently it's really hit the skids.

I'm actually surprised that the UK hasn't picked up the ball for that sort of stuff. It seems ripe for the picking, get some men slapping each other about on a saturday evening in place of whatever rubbish talent show is on and you'd be onto a winner I reckon. However bad it was it's be a damn sight better than the usual fluff that adorns saturday night tv. The outcomes of those shows is just as fixed as professional wrestling.

Wrestling related fact: I sat on British wrestling superstar Big Daddy's knee, I've got a signed picture somewhere, along with a picture of me on his knee. He was a big bugger, that lad.

Comment

One problem is that this type of wrestling has almost always been tucked away in the channels & hasn't gone beyond niche interest.

Gladiators managed to be fairly mainstream by being on ITV in prime time for quite a few years in the 1990s.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                          One problem is that this type of wrestling has almost always been tucked away in the channels & hasn't gone beyond niche interest.

Gladiators managed to be fairly mainstream by being on ITV in prime time for quite a few years in the 1990s.
                          This exactly. When TNA Wrestling came onto Freeview on Challenge TV it was seen as somewhat of a victory that we had wrestling back on a non-sky channel that most people would be able to catch easily. Unfortunately WWE will always be the one company that most people know or think of when it comes to professional wrestling, TNA does have a huge market over here and their world champion is currently a British Star but once they go home to America they are taping their weekly show out of Universal Studios in Florida, meaning that most of the crowd are made up of tourists week to week who have no idea who the wrestlers are or what is going on. They look small-time.

It would be great to get some sort of wrestling show back on prime-time but as you say, most of it is always tucked away such as the one currently shoved on Challenge TV once a month on a sunday night, British Round-Up or something like that it is called.

Comment

i started watching WWF in 1999 when my parents finally got Sky, been a massive fan ever since, got loads of DVDs and a ton of old VHS tapes. i also own all 29 Wrestlemanias 1-18 (tagged classics DVDs), 19-23 (normal DVD sets) and 24 onwards (blu-ray).

my favourite wrestlers would be:

Jeff Hardy
                            Stone Cold
                            The Rock
                            Mick Foley

i like quite a few guys but they would be my top picks

fave PPV would be Wrestlemania 17, and fave match would probably be the Street Fight between Triple H and Cactus Jack, from Royal Rumble 2000.
                            Last edited by Moondog; 14-04-2014, 17:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mc View Post
                              I used to be a massive fan of WWF wrestling (still follow it now)

before anyone says it I know its acting (that is why I put this in TV and not sport)

tomorrow night is wrestlemania 30 and I remember watching wrestlemania 1

did you have a favourite wrestler - match - rivalry

My all time favourite was the ultimate warrior - loved his entrance and was so happy when he beat Hogan for the WWF title
                              Warrior was my favourite too, Gutted!!! He was absolutely electric from start to finish in every match...RIP bro'.

Comment

Working...
                              X