Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atari Dumped Landfill ET Carts Dug Up in New Mexico Deset.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atari Dumped Landfill ET Carts Dug Up in New Mexico Deset.

​And I thought it was an urban myth that Atari dumped a load of unsold ET cartridges in the New Mexico desert in the 80s. Here's a link to the news on IGN; http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/04/2...-mexico-desert

I never knew anyone who owned a copy at the time as it was so poorly panned by magazines.

Re: Atari Dumped Landfill ET Carts Dug Up in New Mexico Deset.

heard about this a lot over the last day or so

why would they be dumped there tho seems a bit odd.

i never knew they did an et game on atari.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

IIRC Atari made lots of cartridges expecting it to be a bit hit on the back of the film, but when the game was panned & they couldn't shift them they decided to cut their losses by dumping them rather than selling them at a discount, as the did with their version of Pac Man which wasn't as good as the original.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I never actually owned the ET game, but two of the video rental shops close by used to rent out Atari games (50p per day). I rented this game once, once too many. It was a totally pointless game, it just made no sense. It had nothing to do with the film. It was just basically jumping over, or falling down holes looking for parts to make a telephone. A friend and I, played it for around twenty minutes then switched it off.
        Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Working...
        X